Apeks XTX50 vs Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a buddy who recently certifed and is narrowing down gears.

Looking for performance comparison at depth. 120' to 160' depth.

Tell him to take his time. 120'+ is a long way off for a new diver, or at least it should be.

Oh, and my XTX100 regulators (essentially the same second stage as an XTX50 with an FST first stage) have basically been bulletproof over the past five or so years.

The DS4 is a nice first stage. I would gladly go with it or an FST if I wanted a little more bang for my buck (I like the FST layout a little more).

I am not a fan of the UST 1st stage. That swivel sucks.

it is not that he wants to jump to 160' right away. just do not want to have to buy another reg in the future again when experience finally catches up to those depths.

we all know any reputable regulator can get to 160' and back. what seperate the sheeps from the goats is how it actually deliver air at 160' while under high load (spearing). unfortunately many have yet to experience such senario. hence the subjective reviews being secondary. # of dive logs is simple a number.

Im not entirely sure exactly what information it is that you are looking for that hasn't been suggested or offered so far? If its related to spear fishing at great depths you might try posting this in that forum, might get the answer you're looking for.

I had an Atomic Z2 which I sold and purchased an XTX 50. I am extremely happy with the XTX 50. Here is how XTX 50 would compare to an Atomic.

Atomic = Ferrari. It is the easiest breathing regulator I have ever been on and yes it is an easier breather than my XTX 50. Problem is that these regs are piston regs and do not have long enough of a history in cold waters.

XTX 50 = Hummer. It does not breath as easy as the Atomic but it is a cold water regulator. Being a sealed diaphram it will let you dive in Arctic without hassle. These regs are the regs of choice for armed forces of colder nations because they are designed to take punishment. While they may not be as smooth they are definitely more reliable.

You have to decide if you would like to drive a Ferrari or a Tank :D

Not trying to stir just curious, in what way are they "better quality"? Cheers.

PS maybe it's different where you are but I've never had any problems getting Apeks service kits. But I hear you re being readily available.
Internal parts are finished better and quality of things like the diaphragm is better......The adjustment controls; course/fine are more sensitive.......Apeks is good, but I feel after years of using both in various environments, HOG is better and for a lot less......It's not just the service kits, it's all parts.......

I had an Atomic Z2 which I sold and purchased an XTX 50. I am extremely happy with the XTX 50. Here is how XTX 50 would compare to an Atomic.

Atomic = Ferrari. It is the easiest breathing regulator I have ever been on and yes it is an easier breather than my XTX 50. Problem is that these regs are piston regs and do not have long enough of a history in cold waters.

XTX 50 = Hummer. It does not breath as easy as the Atomic but it is a cold water regulator. Being a sealed diaphram it will let you dive in Arctic without hassle. These regs are the regs of choice for armed forces of colder nations because they are designed to take punishment. While they may not be as smooth they are definitely more reliable.

You have to decide if you would like to drive a Ferrari or a Tank :D

SouthEast Florida - Warm Tropical Waters.
Spearing at deep depth which makes smooth easy breathing a priority. So definitely Ferrari.

Thanks for that real experience comparison.

The DS4 is all the reg you will ever need. Well built, reliable and a great price.
2x DS4 and ATX is the choice of the UK tech divers and for good reason.
I personally dive Mk25's but would happily swap to DS4s when the time comes.

although subjective reviews are good indications (thanks),

any objective reviews or links?
No experience on other brand except Apeks.
Have been diving the same DS4 + TX50 over 14 yrs for rec and tek. Serviced them(DST, DS4, FSR, US1 and 4) myself(spare parts readily available on line).

Back
Top Bottom