Apeks XTX50 vs. Zeagle ZX/ Flathead-VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both Apeks and Zeagle are outstanding regs.

My personal preference is the Zeagle, I own 3 DSIVs. All have ZX secondary and ZX octo's.

Keep in mind I dive a Hogarthian setup, so my primary is the one I had off and the octo is the one I breath after hand-off in an OOA.

Another reason for the ZX is that it is designed for cold water which I dive in.

On a further note:

I don’t know anything about these charts or if they are even relevant to one another or me in the real world.

The Zeagle http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=gendocs&link=Breathing Loop Flathead-VI&category=Regulators

The Apeks “Note it’s the XTX 200 not the XTX50”
http://www.apeks.co.uk/home_frameset.htm

Can someone explain these charts and numbers to me?

Does this show the XTX200 (work of breathing is 0.41 Joules per Litre) performs substantially better than the Zeagle FH 6 (work of breathing is 0.91 Joules per Litre) on the bench?

Quarrior:
Another reason for the ZX is that it is designed for cold water which I dive in.

Isn't the Apeks second stage also designed for cold water?

serrada:
Isn't the Apeks second stage also designed for cold water?
I think it is. I'm just not sure if the Envoy second stage is designed for cold water.

For me, it's a matter of only have one style of second stage and knowing how it breats and feels in my mouth.

the apeks reg is rated at o.41 jpm at 165 feet. the zeagle is rated at 197 feet. also i think the zeagle is a t a slightly lower supply pressure. so the numbers dont quite compare to each other. the zeagle would have a lower number at a shallower depth like the apeks. also the 50 series apeks would probably not have as good a number as the 200 series.

the zx-50d setup is a very good choice and it is a great reg for cold water diving. i have had mine in 42 deg water without a problem and this past week in mexico in warm water. with the adjustment turned in all the way and in pre dive mode it still breathed great at 100 fsw.

the apeks regs are also overbalanced and this means they will breathe easier as you go deeper but will be more likely to free flow as you go deeper.

scubatoys will price match on regs. find the lowest price on the internet for the zeagle regs you want and they will match it. i think leisurepro has the flathead for $380 or so and the zx second for $120. zeagle express has the zx-50d for around $320.they are an authorized dealer and the regs will come with a warranty. they will also sell you overhaul kits for them if you want.

Russ

Thanks for all the replies.

Ya, you are correct the Envoy is not for cold water like the ZX.

Is the Mares Abyess comparable to these regs?

I went to the dive shop today and a new guy there said he'd recommend the Mares over the Zeagle. No offense to Mares, but I thought the Zeagle, AL/Apeks, Scubapro are a little bit better/ durable brands.

:shakehead

I've dove my Flathead VI/ZX + ZX down to 130 a few times without issues, and in 37 deg. water several times without issues. Two of three buddies dove ATX-50s at the same depths and temperatures without trouble. The third dove an XTX-100 at the same depths and temperatures without trouble. I'm guessing both regs will treat you right if you treat them right.

I personally like the Zeagles. The reversible 2nd is nice on the Apeks, but really, what good is it? The thing that sets the Zeagle above the Apeks is the first stage valve. Apeks uses a knife edge seat, whereas the Zeagle uses a more robust seating system.
Overall, though, they're both great regs, and they both will suit you well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom