Apo island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from diving in Malapascua and APO island.
Haven't yet got around to posting a trip report but soon!

We were on APO island for a week and stayed at Liberity's and dove with Paul...we loved the diving there.
One of the guest there was fishing. He would go to the fishing village and the locals would take him out fishing. He always came back talking about how friendly the locals were and how helpful they were. He seemed to enjoys the days he'd spent with the locals.
Prices for the food at Liberity's was roughly around 2-3$ USD for breakfast and dinner was around 4-5$ USD....beers were .75 cents. There a is bakery in the village where you can get a bag of rolls/sweets for pennies.
We did 13 dives each and that came out to be $15 per dive (we had our own gear) The prices for diving start at $20 per dive..if you do at least 5 dives it comes down to $17. There is a reef fee they charge per day. The diving there was very enjoyable. Some dive sites have riping current and some have none....they have dive sites to fit every comfort level....the night dive out front of Liberity's is the best!!
The rooms were nice and they have rooms for every budget..some have fans and I think all have bed netting. Beware of rodents..do not keep any food in room and best to keep clothes in your bag or hanging up.
They do take every form of payment..USD..Euros...American express travelers checks and credit cards.
You can also have them book your plane ticket back to Manila.
We really enjoyed our time on APO Island and recommed Liberity's....they are very prompt in replying to emails and answering any questions you may have.

If we can answer any more questions you may have feel free to ask.

Hi, TEERLKAY
:dazzler1:
Thanks for the advice, but one more question. What kind of boat did you use? An outrigger boat? Is is big enough for 4 divers?

Just posted a trip report under the Asia forum.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t88237-.html
Yes they do have "banca" boats big enough for four divers...Paul's diving has small groups and will accomadate your needs.

I got to dive Apo Island last December thru the back door. 2 friends and I did a total of 3 dives, stayed overnight in Dumaguete and spent only P1,200 each for all that :wink: .

There is this guy (Yayo) in Dumaguete City that rents out tanks for P100 each. Then you drive to Dauin and contact the boat operator there. The boats will carry a maximum of 4 divers with 2 tanks each or 3 divers with 3 tanks each (P900). Now the boats use there is smaller than the boats used in Anilao. You sit lined up Indian style on a plywood which underneath will contain your tanks. Back rolling is a little bit tricky, so I suggest you jump of the boat or do a side roll. For accomodations, Inns are available in the City for P900 per room! (not per person). Or there is a lodge very near Dauin Pier for P1200 per room.

If you have enough diving experience, you really don't need a DM there. Apo is a small Island and the divesites are just located around marked with buoys. We dove 3 sites there (Coconut, Chapel, Rockpoint) without a DM and none of us having ever been there. BUT please do this only if you are 200% confident with your skills in high voltage dives, underwater navigation and balloon deployment. The currents in some of the sites are very dangerous (especially in Coconut).

Axua:
...If you have enough diving experience, you really don't need a DM there. Apo is a small Island and the divesites are just located around marked with buoys. We dove 3 sites there (Coconut, Chapel, Rockpoint) without a DM and none of us having ever been there. BUT please do this only if you are 200% confident with your skills in high voltage dives, underwater navigation and balloon deployment. The currents in some of the sites are very dangerous (especially in Coconut).

I'm not sure I'd agree with not needing a DM for Coconut, even if you are confident. I worked as a Dive Guide at Paul & Liberty's on Apo for a month about 5 years ago, and despite diving it 2 or 3 times per week, I never got confident enough to be able to lead it myself - it really is a rollercoaster of a ride, and several divers have died there, including one Filipino, very recently - see this story: http://news.inq7.net/regions/index.php?index=1&story_id=28915

As Axua said, Coconut is especially dangerous - so why not get someone who knows it to guide you?

I guess need a discussion on needing a DM or not in sites is a totally different topic :) Anyway for this discussion, I will have to agree with Nstead, do get a DM when you dive there. There are a lot of local DMs available in Dumaguete City.

Hi we are a local dive operator based in Duamguete and Dauin. Apo Island is 30 mins away from our resort and we do daily trips to apo island plus 30 more dive sites around the area. Next time you or your friends would like to dive, come and dive with us.We have a beautiful resort overlooking Apo Island. www.geocities.com/scuba_ventures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom