Apple Cult

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you think it's more complicated than it is. 10 seconds on google gave me this:

Enabling GPS lets you use location services on Samsung Galaxy S4. You also need to allow some apps and Google to use your current location. To turn on or off location services on Android Galaxy S4 do as follows:1. Open "Settings" app2. tap on "More" tab3. tap "Location Services"4. Enable "Access my location"5. You need to agree with Location consent in order to use this feature6. You have 2 options: a. use GPS satellites: Allows apps to use GPS to pinpoint your location b. use Wireless networks: Location determined by Wi-Fi and/or mobile networks** You can always enable or disable GPS from the notification panel

Another 10 seconds on google gave me this: Download "weatherbug" from play store: (see the screen shot), temperature in upper left hand corner of your screen at all times.

57366d1358811366t-temperature-notification-bar-uploadfromtaptalk1358811365130.jpg

If you don't like wetherbug, just uninstall, download another, repeat...

>> If you phone is more than 2 years old, replace the battery and you'll be amazed. With android it's a simple process, no need to spend a week doing it through apple with an iphone.

You said you like the simplicity of apple, well, find out how un-simple a simple thing like changing a battery is with an iphone, having to back everything up, finding a service center, allowing them to analyze your phone whether you get a free battery or not.... etc... etc... etc.. or just open your android and put in a new $10 battery in 30 seconds, all done, enjoy for 2 more years.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2014 at 09:26 AM ----------

And Apple miraculously manages to read your mind and get the app/widget right to show you only exactly what you want?

Just ask Siri. LOL

First, thanks, Mike. Maybe I'll give it another five minutes and see if I can get the weather thing to work.

And Apple miraculously manages to read your mind and get the app/widget right to show you only exactly what you want?

It sure seemed that way sometimes! It did feel as though someone at Apple believed they knew what someone like me would like to see and would not like to see on the screen.

Intuitiveness is very personal, though I think Apple went through a great deal of work making their devices simple to use. The benefit is that a much larger segment of the population can now send emails and browse the web without having to ask the neighbour geek kid to help any time something different / unexpected happened. Honestly, I think that's the demographic Apple was looking for...'cause it's huge! This left market share for companies to create systems that are more sophisticated / complex. I believe Android has a larger market share for two reasons; Android is available on cheaper hardware, Android is open source so it can be installed on phones, kiosks, tablets, car infotainment systems, gaming systems, etc...

Intuitiveness is very personal, though I think Apple went through a great deal of work making their devices simple to use. The benefit is that a much larger segment of the population can now send emails and browse the web without having to ask the neighbour geek kid to help any time something different / unexpected happened. Honestly, I think that's the demographic Apple was looking for...'cause it's huge! This left market share for companies to create systems that are more sophisticated / complex.

I think that's exactly true. They gained some of their first successes and got their first confirmations that simple can be profitable back when they dumbed down the home computer, but at the same time made it simple, you didn't need to hire a computer nerd to set up an apple computer network in your home. This was at the time when setting up a windows based home network was not an easy thing. Apple got it right making it quick, painless and easy. However, that advantage is gone now, everyone else now is just as easy.

Unfortunately, I think that's a great business model for some things, but not a total all encompassing approach.

For instance the Ipod/Itunes original product was revolutionary, however 10 years later and all Apple does is introduce incrementally tiny improvements, that are basically meaningless.

For instance how can 10 years later Itunes not know what music I have in my library and not let me purchase a duplicate of what I already own? 10 years later and how can Itunes not allow me to link my library of owed songs to the itunes store to get suggestions for music to buy? How the hell can 10 years later, if I want to stream songs from my itunes library via my apple tv, do I need to physically open itunes on another computer for apple tv to recognize it, are you kidding? That's like a remote control that makes you walk up to the tv and hold it close to the tv for it to work instead of it working from your chair. How come it's so damn difficult to manage multiple ipods with itunes? The work arounds are incredible to do this, 10 years into this and it's that difficult? How does itunes not act as a browser based interface in 2014? The navigation, trying to go back to what you were looking at, no tabs etc... it's like it's 1998, impossible to believe how cumbersome navigation is using itunes. Just a horrible user experience overall with itunes.

Apple just doesn't seem to ever care about progression of their products to keep up with the times, it's like they will only be dragged and screaming and resisting every step of the process to be made to upgrade their users experience. Once they design it, it's like they are appalled that anyone could demand changes or progress. It's like "we are apple, we designed it this way, it was good enough in 2004, it's good enough today, we are apple you will worship us and not question what we give you."

It's a similar situation with the Ipod, fitness users use ipods, I use my for running, the fitness features of the thing are 10 years behind the times, I looked into buying a brand new ipod to replace my nice little nano thinking that 7 years later they have obviously added all kinds of groovy awesome features, my nano fitness features are archaic, like a 1st generation attempt. What I found out was the new ipods are identical to what I already have! Its the same damn system. Same damn features 7 years later.

This is the stuff that just boggles my mind when people will sleep on the sidewalk for an apple product, I just have to question whether they really have a clue what they are buying.

Those jimmy kimmel videos on this thread answer the question that many apple zealots have no clue what they are buying. Give them the old iphone4 and tell them its the new iphone and they go into endless praise about how great it is, all the while it's an iphone4! Too funny but sadly too true. Tell them it's an apple product and they instantly believe it must be good, everyone else says it is, sad that people can't think for themselves anymore.

I bought myself Samsung Galaxy S3 because i could see the screen. :)

I bought myself Samsung Galaxy S3 because i could see the screen. :)

The screen is too big--doesn't fit in my pocket. Above all, I want my phone to fit in my pocket. If there's something I want to do that requires a bigger screen, I'll use a computer or tablet.

What difference does it make how many others had a brain? The point is all of the ones who don't.

I'm not too sure I don't have a brain. I drive a boat, and I'm damn good at it. I am also a Merchant Marine Engineer, as big a license as you can get which is worth about $1,000 a day, and I'm damn good at that too. To help me drive a boat, I have a chart plotter in the wheelhouse which displays my charts, displays the position of the boat, displays the position of the shallow water around me, etc. For many years, this chartplotter was PC based, because, as you say, there are lots more non-apple products out there, so more folks write software for non apple products than do for apple products, until 2010, that answer would be none. Until the rise of the iPhone, and some guy in San Francisco created an app that he sold for $79. Turns out that his app crossed over pretty well to the Mac OS platform, and MacENC (Electronic Navigational Charting) was born. Now, I had been replacing my PCs every year or two because a marine environment is fairly harsh on electronics. In any case, I would buy or have built a PC with all of the bells and whistles, install it, run it, backing up to my RAID drives, and when the PC ultimately failed, call a tech to build a new PC and transfer the data.

Until that trip from Pensacola to Key West. The PC crashed fatally 4 hours out of Pensacola, and I was left without AIS, without a moving chart, without all of the modern conveniences of having a working processor in the wheelhouse to move the boat across the ocean for 4 days. I didn't realize, however, that you shouldn't let the PC try and try to reboot itself for 4 days, which ended up making the hard drives unrecoverable. No problem says my darling bride, we'll just use the iPhone to get home. Which we did. Screen was a little small, but it was reliable. Could I have broken out the paper chart, gotten the sextant out, plotted my course and shot the stars to get home? Sure, and I could tell you to do all of your dives for a week using tables, too, but you'd tell me that I was being silly.

I got home and ordered the last iteration of the xServe (only because it's rackmount), and I'm typing on it today still. All of my software subscriptions for the PC expired last week, the online backups, the spam filters, the virus scanners, all of the crap you have to have when you have a PC attached to the internet. My tech service bills have dropped to zero, because it doesn't need service. I don't have to worry that the air card will interfere with the sound card will interfere with the video card will not get along with the BIOS, because it's all built in.

So, I'm not brainless, but I'm not a power user, and I don't want to spend my time frustrated because my non-Apple product isn't working (again). It takes a special kind of arrogance to assume that someone who wants a device that works first time, every time, for years at a time in a harsh environment is brainless. I still use a Motorola 9 key flip phone, by the way. And I don't text. Seems to me that those who "must stay connected at all costs" are the folks who are disconnected from the reality around them. Go into any nice restaurant and see how many folks are on their Samsung Galaxy's and ignoring their date. Don't pull your phone out when you go to dinner with me. I will get up and walk out on you. I don't even carry mine into a restaurant.

It takes a special kind of arrogance to assume that someone who wants a device that works first time, every time, for years at a time in a harsh environment is brainless.

You maybe missed it, but 'brainless' was in context of the people on the Jimmy Kimmel video. You took quite a long walk there to justify your 'offense'.

Like Wookie, while I may or may not carry my Samsung Galaxy phone to dinner, the ringer is not on and i find it incredibly rude of folk to be checking their phone when in the social presence of real people.

Back
Top Bottom