Mares Smart vs Oceanic Geo 2.0

• Mares Smart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oceanic Geo 2.0

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its really not worth arguing over. It is what it is. But most of my Oceanic experience is with an older Veo 100nx. Just setting the FO2 is a pain and there is no easy way to simply glance at the screen and check the current setting. And not only does it reset after the 24 hour period but each time it is activated. That means if you are not in a desaturation period and set the gas while checking your gear before leaving for the dive, there is a fair chance it will shut off and you will have to reset again before you drop. All in all a real PITA that I just don't see a need for.
I am still learning how to use the Veo 180 properly and fail to see any reason for the reset. It is really NOT necessary.

I think this concern of some people is that the RGBM is too conservative and there isn't a way to make it less so. <snip>

It’s a common misconception that RGBM itself is inherently conservative- it isn’t inherently anything, it’s just a mathematical framework. The level of conservatism / risk tolerance is chosen by each manufacturer in each implementation, as is the level of access they give the user for adjustments to the conservatism factors. There are handles in the code that enable conservatism to be adjusted, and it would be possible to make an RGBM computer quite liberal. In addition, the penalties applied for deeper than previous, multi-day, or repetitive dive scenarios can vary considerably with implementations. It's really the manufacturer's choice.

...As a programmer you get to choose between people who always dive the same % nitrox blaming you for resetting to air, and people who don't always dive the nitrox blaming you for not resetting to air. ...

I can tell you how we do it on the Cobalt: Gas settings are stored in non-volatile memory, and persist until changed by the user. If the Computer’s battery goes dead, or it resets for any reason, the settings are restored as of the end of the last dive. Yep, you are never going to please everyone.

The Geo 2 screen is quite clear and easy to read, as easy as my VT3, which is a little bigger.

You probably have noticed that the Geo 2 is available from LeisurePro for $250, $315 with download cable.
I just checked Leisure Pro and the Geo 2 is $399.95. Did the price jump?

I still have $250, but am accessing the site from Switzerland. I would call them regarding the price

Your part of "the cloud" has not quite evaporated to the same level as his part of "the cloud". I'm waiting for the day when everyone's online catalog simply has $call in the price column for everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom