April Fantasy Lake Cert. Dive and Belize Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman:
Welcome to the board.
I know the Gypsy staff well. I did my OW certs with them in 92. It's going to be a little chilly in April, 3mm would not be enough for me. I need more insulation. I would opt for at least a 2 pc 5mm+hood+gloves. You can always let water in if you get too hot but being cold stinks. Here is a trip for you. Take an ice chest full of gallon jugs of hot water. Just before the dive, pour a gallon or 2 into your wetsuit. It helps eliminate that cold water coming in that you have to warm up....*&%%^@@@!!! I hate that feeling.
Please come join us on the NC board. When you get done with your cert dives, you are welcome to come join us for more quarry dives and the coast. We have an experienced group and enjoy helping new divers along. It's a great way to quickly improve the skills Dave and the crew have taught you.
If Bratface is your DM.....make that DC, watch her, she will get you in trouble. :)
www.ncdivers.com

I will NOT get you in trouble. :girl: I save that kind of stuff for Herman!

dkktsunami:
Blue Hole will be about a 2 hour, fairly rough trip from Ambergris Caye. This should not be a dive for someone new to scuba, however they will take anyone who can swim. Dive is appx. 135 - 140 feet and the small amount of decompression is disguised by a long slanting swim to the 20' level. I would not recommend this for you unless you are extrordinarily comfortable in the water, and with an overhead environment. They will allow you to remain at the 60' level and the trip may be worth the bouncing just to see the hole.

Bump...:D

If you are collecting dives...then you will do it...otherwise you'll find plenty of other nice spots along to reef to do instead...

And whatever you do...don't do this...:D
http://www.fishpie.com/Product_9003

Bratface:
I did my Stress and Rescue in Fantasy Lake last May. It was a sunny weekend with air temperatures 74-78 degrees. The water was a brisk 57 degrees. You will definitely need more than 3mm. I wore a 3mm long sleeved shorty over my 3mm suit, a 5mm hood, 5mm gloves and 3mm kayak socks under my 3mm boots. I'm a cold water wimp and did well. You will too.

It's true, as the water warms up the viz goes down in Fantasy Lake. It will be clear in April and you'll get a cool tour of the quarry. Try to contain your excitement as you view the "German wreck" (VW beetle), the school bus (ooohhhh), and the Rock Crusher!

People bash the quarry, but it really isn't that bad. It's a great training opportunity and it's low cost as well.
Hey!
I was talking to Luis today about the stress/rescue course. If you have a minute, I'd love to hear what's involved (skill wise) in that certification. I think if I take that course it will eliminate a lot of anxiety of "what if" and make me a much more confident diver.
Thanks!
Angela

Hi everyone... I did my first OWTD at Fantasy Lake today. I managed to get one dive in. Water temp 57 degrees. I got to the platform to do my skills, and did the regulator skills fine, assisted breathing ascent fine, filled mask and cleared fine, but freaked when it came to removing the mask. I was shocked at how cold the water against my face was and also just got so panicky about removing the mask and not getting a good seal on that I couldn't do it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to overcome this mask fear? I did it great in the pool, a dozen or more times!!!!!!
Angela

Damselfish:
Hopefully you're going to Belize for more than the Blue Hole, there's plenty of nice diving there. As far as BH, some people think it is cool, but others (myself included) think it's overhyped and weren't all that impressed - a "been there done that" sort of dive. If you're doing it from land (rather than a liveaboard) it's a long trip for a short dive, though the other diving out there is very good. Also, this is a deep dive with no bottom, for all practical purposes. Although most of the operators will take anyone that pays, it may not be the best choice for a new OW diver, for which most agencies recommend limiting your depths to 60 ft.

I agree with every thing said here. I did the BH after about 20 dives. I was a little anxious and it was not a good idea. The dive itself is very short (5-8 min at depth) and not very interesting and given the chance to do it again, even for free, I think I would pass. The *trip* was very nice because there are two other dives that operators usually do. It's a long trip from Ambergris/Caulker, but worth it. It's also very expensive compared to more local dives.

So, my recomendation is to pass on the first dive or hang at 40' (there is a shelf) if you can. Then go enjoy the other two dives. Or pass on the trip entirely and do a nice local dive. Come back in a couple of years with more dives under your belt and do the BH then if you want.

I would add my voice to those who counsel you to not do the Blue Hole ... it always troubles me that they take new divers out there. New divers have no business going that deep ... you aren't comfortable enough with your skills yet to deal with the added stress of narcosis ... most (almost all) new divers tend to use their gas supply quickly, and have no idea (because they weren't trained for it) to ascend in an orderly fashion from that depth. If all goes well, you'll probably be OK ... but at those depths, you are trusting your life ... literally ... to the judgment of a stranger ... because you will be so impaired by narcosis that you will be incapable of remembering what you learned in OW class.

People die in the Blue Hole ... when I was there, a physician from Miami disappeared ... and his two sons, who he was diving with, didn't even notice he was missing till they got to 80 feet, because at depth they were so narc'ed they couldn't even think straight. Their father's body was never recovered, despite repeated searches ... even using a submersible ... because the bottom is at about 375 feet.

Do yourself a favor ... for the same amount of money, you can take two additional boat dives on the reef, a snorkeling trip to Shark/Ray Alley or the Hol Chan, and have enough left over for a nice dinner in town. Do that ... you'll have more fun, and be safer because you'll be doing dives you're actually qualified to do. There's some awesome dives within 10 - 15 minutes by boat from San Pedro.

NCSCUBADOOBA:
Hi everyone... I did my first OWTD at Fantasy Lake today. I managed to get one dive in. Water temp 57 degrees. I got to the platform to do my skills, and did the regulator skills fine, assisted breathing ascent fine, filled mask and cleared fine, but freaked when it came to removing the mask. I was shocked at how cold the water against my face was and also just got so panicky about removing the mask and not getting a good seal on that I couldn't do it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to overcome this mask fear? I did it great in the pool, a dozen or more times!!!!!!
Angela
Yes ... the water here is about 46 degrees right now, and many of my students are affected just the same way you were. What I have them do is start out by standing in chest deep water, removing their mask, and with regulator in mouth close your eyes and put your face in the water. Just stand there and breathe for a little while ... you get used to it.

The reason you panicked is because, by nature, we are nose breathers. The cold water messes with your brain when it hits your nose, because even though you are breathing through your mouth, your brain is trying to tell you that you're breathing water. It's an illusion, and one you can quickly condition yourself out of. By practicing in shallow water, it's a simple matter to lift your face out of the water if you feel you have to.

Once you get comfortable with breathing in this manner, kneel down in shallow water (where you can stand up if the "panic" sets in) and practice mask removal. Once you succeed at doing that, you'll be ready to try it out on the line with the rest of the class.

Best of luck to you ... what you're experiencing is fairly common among cold-water divers, and I have confidence that you will be able to work it through ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

thank you!!!!! i'm going to borrow my boyfriend's weightbelt and hit the Y pool a few times this week and practice with my snorkel and mask. i'm glad to know it wasn't just me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom