Aqualung Glacia freeflows after reg service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PelagicPK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an Aqualung Glacia octo attached to a Zeagle F8 1st stage with corresponding F8 reg. The Glacia acts as the octo, all purchased new two years ago. The set was used a dozen times for saltwater shore diving in cold water, but carefully rinsed and kept after each dive. After servicing all three pieces a month ago, the Glacia now free flows the second it hits the water, (almost) regardless of the venturi's position. The Glacia never free flowed in the past, ever.

Could servicing affect free flow sensitivity?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Here's the Glacia:
Legend Glacia Octopus

Take it back and ask them to detune it a little.

Thank you, lexvil. I might have a shop in Monterey do it. The Sacramento shop I used made me uneasy after this reg set and an Apeks set (along with computer pods) were taken from the shop by a tech, and kept for 40 days (not the projected 10), and finally serviced and returned after I kindly asked them to return my regs even if they weren't serviced yet. To their credit, they gave me a hefty discount.

Any suggestions of a Monterey shop that is reliable and timely with this kind of thing would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, lexvil. I might have a shop in Monterey do it. The Sacramento shop I used made me uneasy after this reg set and an Apeks set (along with computer pods) were taken from the shop by a tech, and kept for 40 days (not the projected 10), and finally serviced and returned after I kindly asked them to return my regs even if they weren't serviced yet. To their credit, they gave me a hefty discount.

Any suggestions of a Monterey shop that is reliable and timely with this kind of thing would be greatly appreciated!

Wait - your regs were taken from the shop by a tech and kept for 40 days? Did he dive them? This almost sounds like the horror stories of a mechanic at a auto shop "borrowing" a customer's car.

Now I am curious - is the shop you dropped them with an authorized dealer and service center for both Aqualung and Zeagle? Or only one? Or perhaps either neither one? That makes it a little more understandable why they would outsource the service. Right at the start, I wondered if the Glacia octo had been serviced and tuned with Zeagle 1st stage, or if it had been done in isolation on a different 1st stage.

I work on my own stuff but there are 3 good shops, my first choice would be Aquarius next Breakwater scuba and Bamboo Reef, call ahead and ask when someone who can do the adjustment will be there, it should only take 5 minutes or so to tune it to which ever first you’ll be using and then go dive it for a test.

if you are the handy type around tools, look into DIY. The aqualung and apeks regs aren't that hard to do on your own. why leave your regs at a dive shop for a week or longer when you can service them in an hour at home?

Some stores 3rd party service to a company like Airtech. Nothing wrong with that but takes a bit longer to get them back.

I work on my own stuff but there are 3 good shops, my first choice would be Aquarius next Breakwater scuba and Bamboo Reef, call ahead and ask when someone who can do the adjustment will be there, it should only take 5 minutes or so to tune it to which ever first you’ll be using and then go dive it for a test.

Thank you for sharing your shop preferences. I'll follow your advice.

Now I am curious - is the shop you dropped them with an authorized dealer and service center for both Aqualung and Zeagle? Or only one? Or perhaps either neither one? That makes it a little more understandable why they would outsource the service. Right at the start, I wondered if the Glacia octo had been serviced and tuned with Zeagle 1st stage, or if it had been done in isolation on a different 1st stage.

Besides the Zeagle F8/Glacia set, they also serviced my Apeks MTX-R set (two snazzy white-faced regs) with a nice Halcyon SPG. The set is not too common and a bit pricey, so I wondered the same thing. I didn't understand why they were taken from the shop since it looks like they have repair facilities.

I don't know if they paired the Glacia with the F8 stage for servicing.

Back
Top Bottom