Aqualung Seaquest Black Diamond thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I emailed the seller and he doesn't think it comes with the weights.

Doesn't come with the weights or the weight pockets? Weights usually are not included when buying a BCD. However weight pockets are, and if seller isn't including them I'd be wary. That said, I can't ever see myself buying new again. You can save so much money buying used.

I've never tried the Black Diamond but have heard very good things about it.

It is a great BCD, I got one in 2001 and a still use it. disadvantage: very large and heavy

I sold my Black Diamond, and so did my wife... It's a very sturdy BCD, lots of D-rings, pockets etc, but it's also a very "big" BCD. It will keep your head high in the water, and the lift is so good, divers were I come from make jokes about how many BD you need to lift a uBoat:).
It did not suit me, because I felt very heavy kitted up in it with weights and drysuit... For me it's been another world using a pocket weightbelt + a 40lbs BP/wing, but I admit it does not keep your head as high in the water as a Black Diamond... I think I get the weight distribution better with a belt around my hips, and maybe some on the tankbands(have pockets there too now..). The Diamond also got pockets for trim weights, a nice extra.
With the Black Diamond I also needed a kilo or two extra, it's a lot of fabric...
I think I changed to BP/W after around 30-40 dives. Don't wanna turn this into a BP/W - BCD dicussion...just my experience with the BCD!

It seems to be called the Black Ice now, listed under Apeks brand.

Black Ice

Perhaps a replacement but not a new Black Diamond. This model is very different from all previous versions of Black Diamond. The Black Diamond used to be "bulky" and not so comfortable. This new BC appears to be more streamlined and less "rigid."

Perhaps a replacement but not a new Black Diamond. This model is very different from all previous versions of Black Diamond. The Black Diamond used to be "bulky" and not so comfortable. This new BC appears to be more streamlined and less "rigid."

Based on looking at photos of the two (and personal ownership of the BD) it looks like they got rid of the velcro cummerbund and changed the anchor points for the shoulder straps. The rest looks the same.

Not sure what you mean by less bulky and less rigid. That doesn't make sense to me.

No, it isn't the whole backpack, waist strap and related accessories and the shoulder strap are different. Replacement and not a new version.

I used and sold the Black Diamond for years.

No, it isn't the whole backpack, waist strap and related accessories and the shoulder strap are different. Replacement and not a new version.

I used and sold the Black Diamond for years.

Thanks for the info!

For people not as familiar with both, here are pics:

Black Diamond: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353907140.763729.jpg

Black Ice: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353907333.274928.jpg

Back
Top Bottom