Aquarena Springs Class Openings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the enlightenment. I will check the site schedule and plan the first available weekend for my volenteer work. Hey Tab, what's cold? 65?.... hehe

Arrowheads! can you at least pick em up and fondle em? Larry, are you in Houston? If so, we'll have to hook up the next time Dee and Beast plan a get together of the TSDT folks.

STT :jester:

Not to ace out QT - but in this case cold = 68 degrees. In the peak of summer, it might get all the way up to 72 - - One of theminor pleasures - you always know what temperature you're getting into!

Thats a negatory on Houston - I'm all of 25 miles from Aquarena in SW Austin. - - Don't let that stop you though, I've been known to travel significant distances for a good dive! [Especially if it involves Golf!]

Cheers

What's the max depth there at Aquarena Springs and what's the range of depth and average depth of the place?

Hi Zagnut:

Spring Lake at Aquarena Center is an artificial lake. (Like virtually all lakes in Texas except Caddo.) The deepest depths are along the old river channel. I'm sure I haven't found the deepest hole, but you won't get below 30' in the lake. I'd guess that the average depth in the holes along the channel is maybe 25'. Outside of the channel over the vegetation you might as well snorkel in many places. If you want to dive clear water and see lots of life, Spring Lake is great. If you want to dive deep and get narced, it's the wrong place to go.

Spring Lake is a great place to dive in the winter. Since it's spring fed, it's always about the same temp. And since they had year-round diving shows when it was an amusement park, they have an indoor (read warm) changing area for the divers. Especially nice if you're diving wet.

I live several hours away so I don't get down there very often. But whenever I do get down to Spring Lake I always enjoy it.

HTH,

Bill

Sounds like a fun dive. Just a couple more questions. After you have gone through the program and you are authorized to dive, can you arrange to go dive on any weekend or do you have to go at times that they set up for that purpose? Also, after you are authorized to dive there, how many divers do they allow to dive there at a given time? Is it a limited number of divers allowed at a given time and you have to call and reserve a slot for yourself or what?

Daylight,

I'm fairly certain that the skills development portion that you took was more extensive than what I encountered.

Zagnut,

You do have to pre-arrange your diving. They prefer 72-hours notice. Certain activities are done while Aquarena Center is closed, while others are done during business hours. There is a need for people to help out, so they seemed to be accommodating.

Daylight & I were going to dive today - but I got a call that the park is closed due to floods and possibly more flooding rains

Daylight - hope you heard in time to make something else of the weekend!

Bah! :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom