Aquarist who has always dreamed of swimming with the fishies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello! I've never dived before but my dreams take me below the waterline a few times a month! I hope to dive someday but for now I'm just a dreamer! Currently I have a pet puffer. She's very passionate about mollusks. Somes she grinds her teeth to annoy me. -.-

Do you guys have any diving beginner books you'd recommend? A "Diving for Dummies" type thing maybe?

Well, last I heard, Scuba Schools International (SSI) offered the online portion of their Open Water class free (of course, to actually take the class still costs the money), so you can learn about scuba diving at no cost.

Be aware that many places in the U.S. far from the ocean have old flooded rock quarries & similar sites where people can train to come recreational divers. Thus entry to the hobby is far more accessible than many realize.

Think of Open Water Diver as the basic entrance level scuba course; there's a simply, less independent course (e.g.: Discover Scuba Diving) that's more for people who want to see if they like it, but OW is the real entry level recreational scuba course.

SSI is one of the major organizations that offer scuba training programs, including educational materials. PADI and SDI are a couple of others. Instructors or dive shops you consider for training will be affiliated with one (or more) such agency.

Richard.

Take the time to master good buoyancy control and scuba diving can be pretty easy on the environment and enhance awareness and appreciation of the natural world.

You can find something 'wrong' with almost anything.

Richard.

Welcome to the best hobby/vocation/lifestyle! But even if you are not ready to SCUBA, you can still swim with the fishes via snorkel, even in your local ponds, streams. And underwater photography too.
Keep posting as you learn new things!

Welcome to the best hobby/vocation/lifestyle! But even if you are not ready to SCUBA, you can still swim with the fishes via snorkel, even in your local ponds, streams. And underwater photography too.
Keep posting as you learn new things!

Thanks! I live a few hours away from the Ozarks, so I figure that's a decent place to start. Are there any members who have experience with the Ozarks and have any recommendations on where I should go? I'd love to try underwater photography! I've snapped a few pics with my fish and it's still magical but I imagine the glass that separates us detracts from the experience.

If you like the fishies, you might be interested in Mermet Springs in southern Illinois, right across the Ohio River from Paducah, KY. So, sort of regional to you, although it depends on your exact location. Mermet is a quarry that has a large number of paddlefish aka spoonbills. A National Geographic program was even filmed there on the spoonbills.

Do you guys have any diving beginner books you'd recommend? A "Diving for Dummies" type thing maybe?

Personnally, I liked "Scuba Fundamentals" (for when you plan to or start scuba diving) and "Scuba Confidential" (for when you have become a diver), both from Simon Pridmore.

Hello! I've never dived before but my dreams take me below the waterline a few times a month! I hope to dive someday but for now I'm just a dreamer! Currently I have a pet puffer. She's very passionate about mollusks. Somes she grinds her teeth to annoy me. -.-

Good Morning...

I would agree with Dr. Rich that SSI's online training might be a good way to go (see the post right below yours). It will give you the fundamentals. Also, you might see about setting up a try scuba (aka discover scuba) session with one of the local shops. This is basically a pool session that will let you "try it out", so you can see if scuba is something you want to pursue (and you can find this out BEFORE you commit to the full open water course). And just ignore the cynics here on the board. Some people aren't happy unless they are complaining about something. :wink: Hope to dive with you someday.

Adam

If you like the fishies, you might be interested in Mermet Springs in southern Illinois, right across the Ohio River from Paducah, KY. So, sort of regional to you, although it depends on your exact location. Mermet is a quarry that has a large number of paddlefish aka spoonbills. A National Geographic program was even filmed there on the spoonbills.

Mississippi Paddle Fish

Woah! Such magnificent creatures! Did MS refresh their population?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom