Are all HID's the basically the same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dboddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This should probably be posted in the equipment section, but I specifically wanted input from other cave divers. I currently dive with a 10W HID that has served me very well. I'm considering moving up to a bit brighter option, such as a 18 or 21W. If you match the basic features such as wattage, construction, battery type and size, are there other issues that really account for the vast difference in price between some manufacturers?

I don't want to start a brand war...I just want to know if there is a true value for the extra dollars spent. I'm not trying to "cheap it", but if I can save a couple hundred dollars on a light...that's another reel in my kit.

Also...I have seen the dual wattage lights and wonder how that funtionality would benefit me. I think in a silty situation, dialing down the intensity of your light and extending your burn time could be benificial.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Dave

Some are better made then others and tend to be more reliable. Shop wisely and compare. For what it is worth I dive Salvo 21 w

When I went looking for an HID, I asked myself all the basics. Do I get a 10w or a 21w. How large a battery will I actually need? Should it be focusable or not. After answering the basics, the choice of light came down to the details. The devil is certainly in the details.

1. What will break if I drop it? For units with the Brightstar bulb, probably nothing. With the Welch Allyn bulb, I'm out $150-$200. That narrowed the list.

2. If I flood it what do I lose? Some designs place EVERYTHING where it is subject to damage from flooding. Some designs protect the electronics and only expose the battery. Some protect everything.

3. What's the warranty like? Will it cover me if I flood it or drop it? Will it cover me if I forget and leave it on in the air?

4. Where does it have to go for service? For someone living in the central part of the US, this is not such a big deal. But since I happen to leave about 2 hours or less from the area where 3 major manufacturers of these lights reside, it made sense to "buy local" if possible.

I think if you answer these questions, you'll find you have a fairly narrow choice as well.

2. If I flood it what do I lose? Some designs place EVERYTHING where it is subject to damage from flooding. Some designs protect the electronics and only expose the battery. Some protect everything.

The NEW Hollis Lights have this feature.

Each Segment (Light, electonics, hose, battery) is sealed seperate from the others.

This means that if the wire is sheared all you have to replace is the wire. The rest of the light should be spared.

The GreenForce lights are also this way. However, both the Hollis and the GreenForce share some issues when it comes to light power / focusability. This probably won't be a consideration for some buyers, but might well be with cave divers. I wanted a 21w focusable beam light with an 8hr burn time.

I too considered the dual intensity as an option. There are times when burntime is more of an issue than brightness. It seems like a good solution, but I haven't seen any performance reports on it.

I just bought my 4th canister light due to constantly having to upgrade - that's like over $4,000 for "flashlights." My new thinking is buy the biggest, badest light available; otherwise, I'll want to upgrade again. Ultimately, if you don't buy the top tier light, it will cost more in the long run.

I just bought the 35 Watt HID light for that reason. Wow... it's bright! (Sorry for blinding everyone in Devils the weekend before Thanksgiving, but the light is apparently really bright even when it's not aimed directly at you... Lesson learned, next time I'll cover the head.) I did wrestle with the whole controversy, but ultimately caved (pun intended) when I saw the light on sale at a big discount...

Thanks to all for the info. Definately some things I had not considered. My buddy and I have been drooling over the 35W lights, but have agreed that we will hold off until we can both afford to buy one...otherwise the guy without one feels like he does not have a light at all. :)

Hopefully someone out there has the dual wattage and will chime in with the pros & cons.

Perrone gave you a good list of features to consider.

I started with a 10w Sartec and when the bulb died during a cave trip I picked up a 21w Salvo. It might just be my favorite piece of gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom