Are all HID's the basically the same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Deco Stop

Gets into some very heated debate over LED vs. HID.
Basically it looks like LED currently has a long way to go, and Solus exaggerates their claims a bit.

Depending on what you are looking for, and what you are comparing it to...

2 hours isn't enough runtime for me. At minimum, it would leave me having to do something with the light after every dive. That's unacceptable to me. I would go with lower wattage before I go that route. That's just me though...

BTW... I've noticed that without the vehicle running, most of my electronics don't charge fully from an inverter due to the lower voltage. How's that work for you?

you need a new inverter or a new charger. :)

You should be able to get 2 dives in Fl. per batt. at the Intro level. Most Intro/basic dives are about an hour or less.

You wouldn't plan to exit on the last breath, don't plan to exit on the last electron, either. Plan your burntime like you plan your gas.

This is what I was taught and thinking. I did this on one dive - emphasis on one. Thought I had enough juice for the dive but ran out half way through.

Just as there is the rule of thirds for gas, IIRC there is the rule of halves for lights. If your burn time is 2 hours then your dive is one hour. The half may seem like a lot but given the variability in charging and batteries it is reasonable - that is unless you have a burn tester. But even then the rule of halves is still present.

Back to the OP original question. There are differences in lights as folks have pointed out. After much looking we picked up a couple of 10W from Salvo. They fit our diving needs very nicely and are very nice built.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom