Votes: 87 68.0%
  • NO! Americans are not mad.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I can't say as I am too diplomatic

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAD?!!!! Hell yes we're MAD!! Just imagine how PISSED we'd be if we lived in a country with the worst food and weather!

Have to hand it to the Brits; they're a stand-up ally.

Americans mad? - yes -- gotta love 'em
Americans sane? - yes -- gotta love 'em

Don't you just love this world? Sure in every society there is the good and bad (yes even in Canada), but without the contrasts would we really know the differences?

For every bad *****(put in your countryman/woman of choice) there is a good one. For every stereotype you can name, I'm sure you'll find someone who is the opposite.

As I said... don't you just love this world? We have our imperfections, but by golly, we have some outstanding individuals.

For some it's the person next to us who has perfected a skill we could not (like figuring out how to program that dang VCR), or someone who had found a possible cure for a dreaded disease, or even a friend who is physically challenged who completed to what we might consider a normal activity, but to them an impossible task.

Mad - maybe, sane - maybe.... but that's just one thing I really appeciate, we're not all the same.

My, what an awful, empty world some of you see. I'm curious to learn who is keeping the people of whom you write in their squalid existences.

Rockhound has got it right. I was lucky enough to be born here. I've defended this country and I stay here, not because I need to, but because of the freedoms that we enjoy.

The type of freedom that, notwithstanding the withering attempts of certain groups and individuals drag everyone down to the lowest common denominator, turns you loose, encourages you to take your best shot, lets you make a mistake and allows you to start over until you get it right. Freedom that lets you be who you want to be, associate with whomever you want and enjoy the other freedoms for which past generations have fought and died. Freedom that lets you drag yourself down and blame it on someone else if you find it preferable.

We are not forced to stay in jobs or places that we don't like. We have the ability to go as far as our own individual ability, motivation, tenacity and sheer determination permit.

If you don't like a long commute, you can move someplace else. The last time I looked, the choices were not limited to an L.A., NYC or Boston traffic jam and a desert outpost.

If you don't like our job, you can find another. You are limited only by your own skills and motivation.

If you don't have the necessary skills, low cost, quality education is readily available. If you don't have the necessary motivation, then you are (1) part of the problem identified below; and (2) wasting everyone's time.

If you don't like your living conditions, work harder, find a better job or move. I've seen smaller houses in San Diego that I'm told go for $500,000.00. Move someplace else, and you can have the same house for $100,000.00.

If we don't like the last Presidential election (or, perhaps, the two before that), we can join Alec Baldwin in leaving the country (Oh... yeah.... he ended up staying, didn't he... well, never mind).:jester: Alternatively, you can try again next time.

This country is not perfect. We are seeing an unprecedented encroachment upon individual freedoms, a Big Brother attitude, a failure of personal responsibility and a wealth redistribution system that makes me sick. The combined effect of these problems is to encourage people to place blame for their problems anywhere but on themselves and to spend their time complaining that the Government hasn't thrown enough taxpayers' money at them to make them happy.

For the foregoing reasons, you see the mental midgets who want to blame McDonalds because they haven't figured out where to buy a quick salad (Subway, D'Angelo's and even Mickey D's come to mind). :upset: Its not a matter of having no options, its a matter of elemental stupidity. Similarly, any thoughts that people are forced to be sedentary is misplaced. I'm in the top percentile of billing attorneys at my firm. That means that I work more hours than most of them. I still make the time to swim each weekday. How? By getting up at 5:30 a.m.

Americans are not mad. Instead, we are tolerant enough to allow those whose head is co-located with the tail end of their digestive tract to carry on their business and make their case. The alternative is yet another bureaucrat telling you what, when and why you can speak you mind. That said, I would love to represent McDonalds.

When, as I expect, these cases are dismissed, we can all thank the plaintiffs for the comic relief they provided, perhaps by giving them a gift certificate to Burger King. In the meantime, I'm going to use my freedom to work hard and dive often.

By the way, has anyone actually seen this case reported by a reputable source. I searched briefly; however, I didn't find anything except on the comedy and parody sites.

have seen the suit reported on either Fox News or MSNBC. In all honesty I think the attorney who agreed to take the case did so due to the potential to make money from a large award or for the publicity. I think he is hoping that McD's et al will at least settle out of court leaving him with a chunk of money as well as the plaintiff. Then again maybe the attorney realizes that a fool and his money are soon parted.

NE, would you agree with the statement I made under another thread that we are too quick to associate legal abberations (e.g., McDonald's coffee), with the entire American Civil Justice System? I think that some people go around believing that the court's are filled with cases like that, and people suing because they got fat off quarter pounders.

I hear a lot of inaccurate information, such as, "there should be penalities for people who file frivilous lawsuit." Well, there are penalities. Not only can a plaintiff be sanctioned, but the attorney who filed a frivilous suit can be smacked, as well.

That's a good point about the accuracy of this whole fast food suit. I have heard so many different varirations of this story that I don't know what to believe. In any event, a competent judge will not only dismiss the complaint, but sanction the plaintiff and his/her lawyer.

Tampascott:

I agree that it is unfair to associate legal aberrations with the entire court system. I also believe that too many people are looking to blame others for their own problems and that some parties, and their contingency fee attorneys, are looking for a quick score. Bottom feeding PI attorneys advertising on television have become all too common. They are an embarrassment to themselves and to the profession.

As distasteful as claims of this type are, I don't see an easy way around them. In general, our civil court system offers little or no screening of cases prior to filing. To do so would increase the red tape and, potentially, bar people with legitimate issues from being heard because their claims are new and untested.

The Courts are making a concerted effort to resolve matters without going to trial. Court mandated settlement conferences, mediation and arbitration are becoming common. One goal of these programs is to provide an early review of a claim so that the issues are identified and the viability is assessed. In addition, my experience in the federal courts and in commercial matters pending in state courts is that scheduling orders are being more strictly enforced, making it more difficult for a plaintiff looking for a nuisance settlement to drag out a case.

You are correct that courts can assess sanctions against attorneys and their parties for filing meritless suits. The standard is somewhat high (claim is not supported by law or a good faith basis for extending the law). However, it does happen.

Oh, yea....I'm crazy and I DO KNOW IT. Mainly, because my wifes reminds me of it constantly.

Along those lines:

I went in to have my hearing checked last week and my doc asked, " How's your hearing? Any improvement?" (I still have SNHL from my free-diving accident).

I replied, "Well dem reggler squeaky type noises I still cain't hear too good. But, tank da Good Lord, dem voices in my head are still comin' in clear. You reckon I outa give 'em voices the combination to ma gun safe? Dey keep askin' ya know...."

He seemed a bit startled, but I let it ride......

(BTW, I love Australia. Any country that sells beer in "liter" sizes and shoves a big V8 in a car like the Holden can't be too bad....oh, and as for the Kiwi...he know about a 1000 "Aussie in a bar" jokes. He's hilarious, although he plays rugger, which makes him truly crazy himself.).

I suppose we should be a little kinder to them. Over here we use them for practice games before we go up against real competition. It's like they really think they are a chance, really funny to watch though.

I'm 30# over optimum & McDonald's wants a notarized waiver before I can get a Double Cheese burger & an order of fries, upsized of course.

Back
Top Bottom