Are Kayaks Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah you guys- thanks for mentioning this - one more thing.

In my first research prior to getting my yak, I heard harrowing tales of divers coming up to find no boat, and sometimes even to find it out by finding their anchor as they prepared to ascend...without an anchor line attached. It was that thing I mentioned in my last post too, of going somewhere too far and having a false sense of security. To that end, I see tiny 1 to 3 lb anchors for sale, but I use a 7 lb collapsing anchor with good sized claws, and I have 6' of reasonably heavy chain attached to keep the arm down in horizontal grab position. I use double overhand knots, add a knot, and tape it all so there's no chance the rope will come out.

For clips, I use two different kinds so if one comes off I'm still ok. One is a screw carabiner, and the other is a brass double ended snap clip. Finally, for rope, I use the 2500 lb electrical conduit pull tape that the electric companies use. A buddy gave me some, and I love it. It looks like thin climbers' strap, and even has the footage printed every foot on it. I've since seen it at the hardward store. It's not cheap. But if you ever drive by a utility company's underground truck, they only use their tape for a couple of pulls, and then discard it...perhaps to you! Barring that, I'd use good quality black and orange truck rope. The rope I've bought is rated at 400 lbs. The hardware store guys told me that properly rated rope at "working load" will actually break at five times that. I don't know clearly how this works, but at a 400 pound rating, I imagine it would take quite the storm to snap a kayak's anchor line...especially when my 40 pound boat is sitting on water. Not a time I'd be out there anyway...

I have a Perception Prism 13' sit-on-top kayak. It has large front and rear hatches. I use it for SCUBA, freediving, abalone, and fishing. I also have longer regular kayaks. I kayak dive Monterey Bay, Carmel Bay, and small coves around Mendocino.

I usually attach my front or rear tow line to kelp and sometimes drag my kayak up on rocks. If I use a small anchor, I have a plastic cleat screwed to deck so that if the anchor rope is pulled it tightens, but if I need to release quickly I just pull up and let go of the line. I use line that floats and of course I have a paddle leash. I carry any loose gear in a goodie bag clipped to the deck. If I am freediving, it is hard for me to sit-up straight with my wetsuit on and I overheat. So I wear my weight belt and pull down the top while paddling. I put my mask and snorkel on before I hop in the water. I put my fins on in the water. My friends put their fins on in the kayak and sometimes paddle with their fins on.

For SCUBA, I put my tank/BC in the back hatch but it will not close. This could be dangerous, but I do not SCUBA using my kayak in seas where I may be swamped. I can go in rougher seas when I free dive or I can figure a way to safely secure the tank/BC on top of the deck instead. I may also get a couple of flotation bags for kayaks without bulkheads for safety. I pull my top up, put my snorkel in my mouth then jump in and put my fins on. Secure the kayak, then pull the tank/BC out of the back hatch and secure the hatch. I put my BC on in the water. When I return to the boat, I clip the fish or abalone to the deck. I may throw my weight belt into the front hatch. I take off my BC and clip it to the kayak side ropes so it does not float away. It is easy for me to swim around and get everything ready to leave without my weight belt and BC on. I take my fins off after I climb on top. And my mask and snorkel are still on when I climb back in. I hope this helps.

One of the best scuba and free dive kayaks of all time is the OK Scupper Pro TW. These often command high prices on the used market. OK quit making them but last I heard they had again added them to their line up due to high demand. The Scupper is a fast, long, relatively narrow yak that can undertake long trips. It tracks well and can carry a large load including another tank in the forward hatch. This kayak is best for people of a normal frame size, I mean, the cockpit width is not jumbo size so if your rear is wide, you need not apply.

DSCF0038-4.jpg

On this day, per my GPS track, I traveled over 10 miles, went as far offshore as three miles, made two dives including a tank switch. Seas kicked up coming back through the pass. I did schedule my trip with the tides in mind, something to consider in some areas, paddling in against a tidal current gets old real fast. YRMV

I carry flares, vhf, gps, pfd, nav compass, signal mirror, pump and occasionally an old sonar I have. I glued the transducer into the keel, it shoots a little crooked but I don't care.

I wouldn't have an inflatable kayak, but as I mentioned earlier, there are air bags in my Scupper. When I went to buy a kayak I went for a different type. This was the very last Scupper. The young fellow told me this is the one I wanted, I did not believe him, he insisted so much I almost left and went elsewhere but then I gave up and I bought it. I have since learned that the fat little unit I had thought I wanted is a dork tub and this is the bad boy, the Scupper rocks. Thanks fellow, you steered me right.

N

Last edited:
Thankyou for the information.

Yesterday I googled my heart out re dive kayaks and have some very interesting info now as well as reading from your posts.

I can see myself getting one within the month, and have made enquiries regarding an advanced sea kayak course which I feel maybe handy. Many years ago I used to use a surf ski for exercise but never like this.

I have been able to find a distributor of the Hobies with paddle and peddle and am thinking this might be my best option as it will give me more scope as I get more adventurous. The Sth East Qld coastline is very kayak friendly as it is protected somewhat by many islands so I can see a extended trip or two possible in the future.

QUestion: I am considering buying a two person kayak as I can see the space is limited, am I right in figuring this will give me extra room for extended trips Ie....need a tent and supplies.
Is it very hard to handle a double when just one person?

Oh and Nemrod, I have been blessed by the gods with a small ass so not an issue.

Okay last question? Any instructors in Australia with this speciality?
I can see a whole new world of diving opening here.

md

Thankyou for the information.

Yesterday I googled my heart out re dive kayaks and have some very interesting info now as well as reading from your posts.

I can see myself getting one within the month, and have made enquiries regarding an advanced sea kayak course which I feel maybe handy. Many years ago I used to use a surf ski for exercise but never like this.

I have been able to find a distributor of the Hobies with paddle and peddle and am thinking this might be my best option as it will give me more scope as I get more adventurous. The Sth East Qld coastline is very kayak friendly as it is protected somewhat by many islands so I can see a extended trip or two possible in the future.

QUestion: I am considering buying a two person kayak as I can see the space is limited, am I right in figuring this will give me extra room for extended trips Ie....need a tent and supplies.
Is it very hard to handle a double when just one person?

Oh and Nemrod, I have been blessed by the gods with a small ass so not an issue.

Okay last question? Any instructors in Australia with this speciality?
I can see a whole new world of diving opening here.

md

I was not implying otherwise concerning the size of your rear but being as many people read these threads and being as the Scupper is not large in the seat area I wanted to point that out in case somebody ordered one and then discovered it would not fit their 6-4 240 pound frame. Take it no further than that.

I have used the Hobies with the peddle paddles, I recommend against those for beach entry or use in areas where their could be marine growth. A graphite paddle and a sleek yak like the Scupper or Prowler is much faster. A double yak is hard to handle solo, they tend to be wide and the solo seating position is not optimal for solo paddling. As well when used solo the bow tends to sit up which results in excessive windage and the constant tendency to blow off course.

Take that also as you desire, I have used a double as well, rentals here and there, I would get a good solo rig, the OK 13 foot Prowler is a good rig also. For a big guy the 15 foot Prowler might be a better choice. I am 5-11, 185 (ok, ok, a little chubbier) and I feel the Prowler 15 swallows me up but a bigger fellow would be right at home in the larger yak.

For what it is worth to you.

N

I have made dives in the Scrambler and Malibu Two from Ocean Kayak, and the Gemini from FeelFree.

The Scrambler has a tank well-ish rear hold, with bungy webbing. I have muscled my rig back into the web from the water and it is a chore, but the gear is secure. This yak is a little small for a 6' diver and gear. My favorite dive site when I had this yak was 3000' off shore and I mostly surface swam because it was actually less time to do the dive without the extra gearing up on shore, getting into and out of water at dive site and the extra cleaning when finished.

The two tandem yak's are very similar, with the Malibu Two having a center seat and the Gemini having a tie down line around the gunnel. Without dive gear these yak's ride with their nose in the air (good for surfing!). If you put the dive gear in the front seat area it does so less.

Both are wide stable platforms, with the Gemini a little thinner and faster in my mind. I like the way the Gemini turns a little into the wind in most conditions I've encountered.

If you do a SB search for kayak molokini threads 3 and 4 are pertinent to this subject. :coffee:

It's hard enough to gear up for cold water diving on land... I can't imagine paddling out to a site in my drysuit and then trying to get my lights and everything on in a kayak. Maybe I need to move to Florida. :)

Our water temps average 46-54F. My buddy only has a dry suit. He even freedives for abalone in his dry suit. He paddles out in his dry suit with fins, mask, snorkel on and puts his Rig on in the water.

Have found some of the kayaks mentioned here in Australia, plus from what I see a couple made in Australia. I have seen in a couple of Kayak posts the mention of lights. Has anyone fitted permanant lights to their kayak? Could they be charged with a small motorbike battery which is recharged with solar panel? Have considered having bulkheads made and fitted to help no water
getting in near it, would this work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom