Are my fins fixable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Run a bolt [round headed bolt] and nut [ nut will act as the nub] thru the fin and get spring straps......

I would reinforce the rubber material around where you make a hole for the bolt maybe use some wide washers too. If the nub came off I'm doubting the quality of the material or forming on that fin. I never heard of that happening before. But if they don't replace the fin it is fun to see if you can jerrybuild a fix.

While I was in the water this weekend, the rubber nub that holds the strap lock in place decided that it had given up on life. I ended up having to macgyver a solution using one of my knife straps to get back to the beach:

View attachment 145437

I checked and Oceanic only gives a warranty for 1 year, and I'm definitely outside of that window. I really like these fins and would like to fix them if possible. Has anybody ever had this happen to them before, and if so, how did you fix it? I had thought about putting a bolt through the rubber, but i think that would get in the way of the snap lock, as well as rub on my boot. Ideas?

Personally I have fixed a pair of Oceanic fins with the same problem for one of my divemasters. I just ordered a pair of stainless steel spring straps(C-Strap) from Apollo Sports USA, cut off all the rubber nubs and installed the spring straps on the fins. Please refer to the link below for the installation instruction:

http://www.apollosportsusa.com/documents/C-Strap-Install09.pdf

Actually I had installed a pair of C-Strap on my Atomic Split Fins before Atomic Aquatics released their own stainless steel spring straps. I would say Apollo Sports C-Strap is very high quality, both my divemaster and myself are very satisfied with the modification.

Hope this helps.

After conversing with Oceanic's rep here on the forum, I wrote Oceanic's service department an email. The rep seemed to be confident that they could help me resolve the issue, so I'll keep you 'post'-ed on their response. Thanks for all the advice, I really like the idea of using either a nut as a catch for the existing fin or using a set of the Apollo C-Straps that were recommended. We'll see what Oceanic says.

I got in touch with Oceanic and they are going to replace the fins at no expense. I got the old ones off in the mail last week and they should receive them today; hopefully I'll see my replacements before the boat dives I have planned on the 24th.

I thought I'd update to give a shout-out to Oceanic for taking care of the issue with my broken fins.

When I called to check on the status of my fins I mentioned to the guy in the warehouse my boat dives on Sunday, and sure enough he got them out that day and to my doorstep here just in time for the weekend. All of this for fins out of warranty and without a receipt. That there is awesome customer service. I will definitely be putting Oceanic in my list of good vendors when it comes to future gear purchases.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom