Are my fins too small?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello! I recently started snorkeling & I was sold a wonderful pair of Oceanic Vortex V12 fins - size small & a pair of Oceanic Neo Classic hard-sole boots - size 7/8......

I am confused after looking at so many different size charts... Are my fins too small? The lady at the scuba store said they were the right size, but now I'm thinking they might be a tad small... How can I tell if they fit correctly?

Thanks!!!

Try them on over the boots, they should not shift around too much when you move your foot around (too loose) and should not be hard to pull on or crunch your foot or toes when their on (too tight).

As long as they feel comfortable you should be good to go. I have a pair and love em.

And welcome to scubaboard!

Thanks for the reply.....

Well, I'm just worried because I've been looking at size charts online & it looks like I'm supposed to have a M/L sized fin with my 7/8 sized (thick) hard-sole boots - at least according to some websites. So, I'm a little confused as to why the lady at the scuba shop sold me the Small fin.

There is a little bit of gap between the tip of my boot and the tip of the fin. In other words, my boot does not go all the way down to the end of the fin. Is this ok? I do have a snug fit, however between my fin and my boot (without squeezing).

So, I don't know if I should stick with the Small or go back to the scuba shop and ask for the M/L....

Thanks for the input! :)

Size charts are guidelines. Go back to the scuba shop and try on the M/L, take your small fin in as well. Try both on and then see what is most comfortable.

Size charts are usually worthless with anything. If it fits, does not move around or cut off circulation to your toes and feels good don't worry about it. The v-12's have generous foot pockets and even in the small a 7-8 neo sounds about right. Your foot does not need to go all the way to the toes. And the heel should stick out some. Do you buy clothes based on size or how they fit. Scuba gear is the same thing. It's one of the reasons I hate going shopping with my wife. Women's stuff has like 300 different size designations. ANd the men's is getting just as bad in high end stores. American or European cut? Who freakin cares! It's a pair of pants and a shirt!

Sorry, I went away for awhile. Now I'm back. Enjoy your boots and fins.

For my V-12s the size charts say that i should be wearing the biggest size, size 12 shoe, to fit comfortable in my wet suit boot i wear the regular size, in fact there are two other instructors that i work with that wear the regulars and they wear size 12 boots.

I also wear Oceanic V-12s. I have a size 12 boot and use the regular size. My feet stick out a bit more in this size, but I found that with that large fin, the pocket was too wide and my feet moved around too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom