Are pst valve o-rings oxygen ready?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431:
Exactly...
Thanks for proving my point...

Dont get me wrong, I know the dangers of O2. I am suprised that we dont hear about more valves or cylinders exploding or flashing from O2.

I'm not trained to fill, but wouldn't it make more sence to premix nitrox in an O2 clean tank and bank it? If I had a shop I think that's what I'd be inclined to do. That way I KNOW the tank/valves are O2 maintained. Safer for everyone :eyebrow:

Yes, if you are filling nitrox, the safest method (to avoid O2 exposure to questionably clean customer cylinders) is to bank it. Partial pressure blending is time consuming, and exposes the customer's cylinder to pure O2. This is why banking nitrox is popular with the high volume fill stations. However, when you get into decompression diving, divers use a high percentage of O2 to decompress with. So, it would be common for a cylinder to be filled with 50%, 80% or even 100% O2. In this case, the cylinder has to be prepared for O2 service. I dont think any scuba valve is certified by the manufacturer for 100% O2 service (there may be one out there, I dont remember what OMS says about its valves).

Cleaning for Oxygen Service
What is CLEANING FOR OXYGEN SERVICE? Cleaning for Oxygen Service is best defined as the removal of combustible contaminates from the surface of any equipment or system in oxygen service, including all parts that make up those components. These contaminates include, but are not limited to, organic and inorganic substances such as hydrocarbon material i.e. oils and greases, paper, fiber, coal dust, solvents, weld slag, rust, sand and dirt. If these contaminates are not removed properly a combustion reaction in an oxygen atmosphere or unacceptable product purity are the result.

Sure would. Saves the customer all the rigamarole about O2 cleaning, and having to leave the tank for each fill, and saves the shop having to worry over and hassle the customer about the tank's history. I don't really see any excuse for any but the smallest shops to be PP mixing in this day and age.

RiverRat:
I'm not trained to fill, but wouldn't it make more sence to premix nitrox in an O2 clean tank and bank it? If I had a shop I think that's what I'd be inclined to do. That way I KNOW the tank/valves are O2 maintained. Safer for everyone :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom