Are shore dives legal on Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably the specifics are everywhere but I saw the book at the dive shop liked it and bought it. The question was being ask about boundaries I looked in the book and it showed the park and reported my findings just for information.

How many log pages are in the book??

On all the maps I've seen it appears that the national park area goes right up to the shoreline. Is this correct? Or just a convenience of mapmaking?

To the best of my knowledge it goes right to the shoreline, and officially the people staying at the resorts within it's boundaries are exempt from the need for a day pass ONLY if they stay inside the roped off areas for swimming. With that said I have never seen any park police along the shoreline, so doubt there is much enforcement, but it is still protected water & no fishing is allowed.

To the best of my knowledge it goes right to the shoreline, and officially the people staying at the resorts within it's boundaries are exempt from the need for a day pass ONLY if they stay inside the roped off areas for swimming. With that said I have never seen any park police along the shoreline, so doubt there is much enforcement, but it is still protected water & no fishing is allowed.

Are the buoys anchored to the sea floor so the boundaries are clearly visible when you're underwater?

Hawkwood--Was this guy towing a dive flag? Just curious.

That is very irresponsible (or naive). He could have easily been mowed over and nobody would have even known that it happened.

Are the buoys anchored to the sea floor so the boundaries are clearly visible when you're underwater?

Just look up. It's Cozumel, where viz typically runs 100 feet, maybe 50 feet on a bad day. The depths in these areas is about 25'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underachiever
How many log pages are in the book??

You can log 18 dives.

I'm not too sure about it but federal waters do end 20 mts inland from high tide so the National park actually runs up the shore line at least that much. I would have to go get my GPS, get the actual coordinates and check that out... (Not that I'm doing that in the near future! :no )

I really appreciate that last remark: because it would clearly define just how much of any area of beach (the sandy area) is legally public. Mexico has declared that all beaches are public but I have never known just what that actually encompases, and you just might have nailed it down.
Re the actual marking of the defined areas that you are supposed to stay within at resorts when swimming, snorkeling or shore diving I can't tell you how each is marked off underwater other than to say that I am pretty sure there will be some kind of anchor at the corners of the rope set up. With the average visability in Cozumel being what it is on the leeward side of the island I think is fair to say that even if you are hugging the bottom you should easily be able to see the rope & buoys attached to it easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom