Are there any other masks as soft as Atomic Venom Frameless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duckling

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all - first post :)

I’m getting back into snorkelling (not diving) after a 15-year hiatus and need to buy all new gear, so off I went to the LDS to try on some masks. I think I tried pretty much all of them and the majority were fine, but the Atomic Venom Frameless was incredible - the skirt was so soft and comfortable, and I think perhaps that’s why this mask maintained such an excellent seal even while I was talking, smiling and pulling funny faces.

The problem is I need prescription lenses and the go-to dive optometrist in Australia specifically says they don’t add custom lenses to frameless masks, and they also strongly recommend staying away from single lens masks (but will do them on request).

So I’m wondering if there are any other super soft masks like the Atomic Venom Frameless that I can check out, particularly masks with dual lenses (and even better if there are off-the-shelf corrective lenses available for it as I might be able to get away with those)?

Thanks in advance!

dive optometrist in Australia specifically says they don’t add custom lenses to frameless masks, and they also strongly recommend staying away from single lens masks (but will do them on request).

All of this is BS.

I am a fan of the comfort and fit of Atomic masks, and used the frameless for years since it sealed well on my face. I tried a Gull mask a couple years ago and liked it enough to switch away from Atomic. The Gull masks may be worth a look, the skirts are very soft and comfortable. Page 12 of the Gull catalog describes vison correction options.

Check out the AA Subframe mask. Two windows. I think that they may have optional prescriotion lenses available.

For corrective lenses I am no help.
For someone that came from a AA Venom to a Apeks VX-1 and just recently picked up the Fourth Element Scout. I would say the fit is better on the Apeks over the AA, but that is personal preference. Softness wise, in my opinion, you can not match the 4E scout.

Check out Scubapro D or zoom mask, many lenses from - to + available right from SP, if you know what you need take the money from custom fitting and apply it to the cost of the new mask and you’ll likely save $.
the SP elastic straps are really nice too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom