Prescription Mask Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Going on a snorkel liveaboard in Raja Ampat in Feb. Was planning to use my contacts with a regular mask, but I get Iritis once in a while and, in case it strikes, I’m bringing prescription meds, which Going on a snorkel liveaboard in Raja Ampat in Feb. Was planning to use my contacts with a regular mask, but I get Iritis once in a while and, in case it strikes, I’m bringing prescription meds, which preclude using a contact in the affected eye. In case I need it and as an alternative, I want to buy a prescription mask. My prescription is -10.50 and -10.27. I plan to get single vision and use the “stick-on readers,” if needed.

“Get Wet Store” has a “Promate” mask for approx. $69 with built-in lenses up to -10.00 (which my optometrist says would suffice).

“Sea The Sea RX” offers high index lenses in my exact prescription (to be cemented into a mask I provide) for approx. $320.

“Use My Frame” is approx. $240 for lenses (also in my exact prescription, to be cemented into a mask), but they would be glass, which is heavier than high index and, considering my high prescription, they would be pretty heavy.

I’m tempted to order the Promate option because it’s so much less expensive. It can be returned, so I was thinking to start there and go to one of the others if it isn’t satisfactory.

Since this is such an important trip for us, would love feedback from those with experience. Thanks so much in advance!
preclude using a contact in the affected eye. In case I need it and as an alternative, I want to buy a prescription mask. My prescription is -10.50 and -10.27. I plan to get single vision and use the “stick-on readers,” if needed.

“Get Wet Store” has a “Promate” mask for approx. $69 with built-in lenses up to -10.00 (which my optometrist says would suffice).

“Sea The Sea RX” offers high index lenses in my exact prescription (to be cemented into a mask I provide) for approx. $320.

“Use My Frame” is approx. $240 for lenses in my exact prescription, but they would be glass, which is heavier than high index and, considering my high prescription, they would be pretty heavy.

I’m tempted to order the Promate mask because it’s so much less expensive. It can be returned, so I was thinking to start there and go to one of the others if it isn’t satisfactory.

On a related topic, I’m planning to get those “stick-on readers,” in case I decide to bring an underwater camera or want to see things really close up. I’ve seen posts that say they don’t work well, another post saying someone got progressive lenses installed (which is what I use for my glasses). Any feedback on this topic would also be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

I switched from contacts to a prescription mask a decade ago. For me it's just easier not dealing with contacts anymore. Up until now I'd been using a Dive-Rite mask with -8 lenses. My most recent prescription bumped a little, so one eye is -9.5. This time I bought a Promate Seaviewer. It's a nice mask, and it fits my face a little better than my old Dive-Rite. Haven't gotten it wet yet. Have a trip planned this winter. I think you'll be fine with the -10 lenses. The refraction underwater gives us nearsighted people a small boost.

Dude 1/2 inch thick lenses and you want to stick readers, too much curve and you'll have no room for your face

Promate is the only idea

While those options above are nice and can accommodate your prescription, bonding can be unpleasing to the eye due to the look or even the weight of the lenses. And let's be honest, stick-on lenses just aren't a long-term solution.
We make prescription lenses for most dual-lens masks on the market and we surface the prescription in the lenses just like your typical everyday glasses (including astigmatism). Feel free to check out our website. We would love to help out!

Looking at seaviewusa. They mentioned a purge valve. What are opinions on those? Pro or con?

Stay away from purge valves. Just another potential failure point. I’ve had several masks done by Seavision. They do a great job - you’ll appreciate it in the long term.

I used See the Sea. I shipped them my mask and they shipped it back with lenses glued in. For a few dives, they would constantly fog up. I purchased them exactly 1 year ago and am happy. I can't believe it's been a full year, it's probably time for me to get an updated RX and order a new pair. I'll probably just order the mask from them as well and pay for everything using my HSA card.

I bought one of the Promate masks for my son. The mask itself is decent quality. Like you, it's not an exact match to his prescription, but it's close enough that the distortion from just being underwater makes it unnoticeable. For your use as a backup, it's ideal.

My prescription is so bad that I have to go the bonded lenses route (SeaVision doesn't do high + lenses). I've been very happy with the service and quality of Custom Prescription Dive Masks . I send them a mask that I know works and they install the bifocal lenses.

Back
Top Bottom