Updated Vision Prescription and Your Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have prescription lenses in my mask. Every other year I go for a new prescription. When you get an updated rx, do you buy a new mask or do you have updated lenses installed in your current mask? Is it even possible to get updated lenses installed when they are glued in?

I recently had a prescription mask made by Seavision. There are certain masks from other manufacturers that they can do lenses for, and they also sell their own masks. They can replace the lenses in Seavision masks, and the other masks that they make them for, as they do not simply glue the lenses on. They actually grind brand new lenses for each mask each time. Turnaround time is very fast and customer service is great.

I currently have prescription lenses in my mask. Every other year I go for a new prescription. When you get an updated rx, do you buy a new mask or do you have updated lenses installed in your current mask? Is it even possible to get updated lenses installed when they are glued in?
As an optometrist who also dives, here's my advice. Ask your eye doctor. Tell them that you have an Rx mask, and ask them if they think that you'll notice any significant difference between the two. A rule of thumb is +/- .5 diopters in the sphere power, probably not, same in the cylinder power (astigmatism amount). Ask them to show you the difference between the two Rx's and your vision with each if they can also.

JW

I use dropin lenses that are close to my perscription. My Rx has changed a little over the years, but the mask is fine.

I have not updated my mask prescription in a few years despite my Rx changing some and have not noticed the difference.

If you don't already have a backup prescription mask, use this as an opportunity to get a second one with the new prescription. Move the current one to backup status.

Otherwise i would not bother unless there was a significant change in the prescription.

If you don't already have a backup prescription mask, use this as an opportunity to get a second one with the new prescription. Move the current one to backup status.

Otherwise i would not bother unless there was a significant change in the prescription.
This is my actual plan. I just got to thinking when I read about people who've had their masks a long time and thought that some must have prescription inserts glued in.

Does anyone know if glued in lenses can be updated? At this point, I just want to know out of curiosity.

Cressi Focus is a good prescription lens mask. Lenses can be swapped out by the user.
I have facial hair and it's been very difficult to find a mask which works for me. Someone on SB turned me on to the ScubaPro D-Mask a couple of years ago (or I saw a good recommendation for it on SB). It's works great for me, and I really don't want to change to another model. Good to know for others though, thanks for sharing.

I recently had a prescription mask made by Seavision. There are certain masks from other manufacturers that they can do lenses for, and they also sell their own masks. They can replace the lenses in Seavision masks, and the other masks that they make them for, as they do not simply glue the lenses on. They actually grind brand new lenses for each mask each time. Turnaround time is very fast and customer service is great.

The seavision lenses which aren't glass, how durable are they? Do they scratch easily? Let's say they were used as a backup mask, shoved into a pocket with other items, how likely are they to get scratched?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom