Recovering lenses from broken mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a mask fitted with prescription bifocals. The lenses cost $350 last year and were bonded in some manner to a stock mask by the lens maker (prescription dive mask in CA, I believe). The mask dropped in my garage when I was stowing gear and the mask plate lens completely shattered. The Bifocals look okay, but are still bonded to the shattered glass. The dive shop said I could send it directly to the company and for $75 they will *try* to recover the lenses or give me credit for the money.

My question is, can I de-bond the lenses myself and if they are in good condition put them in the replacement mask?

Attachments

• IMG_0151D.jpeg
    IMG_0151D.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 73
My question is, can I de-bond the lenses myself and if they are in good condition put them in the replacement mask?
I've used WD-40 on hardened superglue and was amazed at how good the results were. But the oil needs to have contact with the glue. If it can't get 'underneath' the glass/lens portion it may take more time. I've seen superglue soften in 1 hour and then used a rag to wipe it away. Worth a try in your case by making a tray out of tin foil and filling it up with WD-40..

I used acetone to separate the lens from the glass but it took over a week for the acetone to work its way under but if the lens is not glass it will just melt.

I use heat daily to soften and remove cured adhesives and epoxies. If you're not trying to salvage the frame then that may be your best bet. Use a hair dryer low speed, high temp, on the glass side to soften everything up. Then use a razer blade of sorts to lift the bifocal up off the lens. Worth a shot at least.

Most of the chemicals mentioned are probably very destructive to the plastic lenses.
Ask the prescription Dive Mask vender directly for advise.

My gut feeling is it will be a total loss

If the lenses are plastic, youre pretty much sol. Anything that would attack the glue would likely damage the lenses,
Next question is how much time do you want to mess with them?
Soaking in acetone will probobly give the best results,

No one else has suggested it, but you might try brake fluid as the soaking medium.

Or acetone free nail polish remover.

I use both around plastic parts of the models that I build.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom