Are two tank straps absolutely necessary on a Back plate with an STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Using an OMS SS back plate with STA set up with two tank straps. Just out of curiosity I have begun wondering if I could use just one Strap.

Can see a whole bunch of "druthers" for both single and double straps but nothing that screams "hell no, don't do it!"

What's your take on going with just one strap?

It’s absolutely doable. Ive done it several times when loaning a cam band for various reasons (mostly forgot cam bands when going from twinset to single). I will say that I don’t feel the need to get the bands wet ahead of time when using 2 cam bands but would absolutely recommend a pre dip if only using one.

If you add one of those rubber pad things, sure you can run 1 strap.

But why? Less travel weight?

When traveling I use both cam straps, crotch strap, and waist belts bent backwards to make a nice backpack for my fin bag. For the long hikes to the boat. Can't do that with one strap too easy.

Pretty sure my sta's wouldn't be optimal for single strap use. Top strap too high, bottom too low. I wouldn't do it. Get rid of the sta, and my plate has middle up strap slots that would be ok-ish.

Doable, but I would seriously consider a scuba pro type of cam band. They are much more secure, just less than convenient when you change tank diameters.

Not necessary at all.

but better if your STA has a center posisition.

If I was to run 1-strap, I'd probably also have some kind of retaining device around the neck/valve of the tank, in case it slips it's not likely to go far. It doesn't have to be complicated, such a loop of nylon webbing or paracord. You could also add a buckle or bolt-snap, but that's not entirely necessary.

I'd probably also make sure to use one of those rubbery friction devices that slips over your camband. I forget what they're called, but I have a few and they're really inexpensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom