Halcyon single tank BCD causing crooked tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My halcyon single tank bcd (with holes for straps to avoid using an STA) is causing my tank to be significantly crooked unless I tighten the straps extremely tight. Is this normal, and if so how do people deal with this?

Being on a rocking boat changing tanks between dives will be a problem because unless the tightness is absolutely *perfect* I get a crooked tank.

I’m at the point where I’m considering just buying a STA so I don’t have to deal with this, however will I have the same problem w a STA?

Edit: I’m using the blue reef SS backplate. From all the reading I’ve done I thought backplates were more or less the same. Blue Reef Stainless Steel Back Plate

My halcyon single tank bcd (with holes for straps to avoid using an STA) is causing my tank to be significantly crooked unless I tighten the straps extremely tight. Is this normal, and if so how do people deal with this?

Being on a rocking boat changing tanks between dives will be a problem because unless the tightness is absolutely *perfect* I get a crooked tank.

I’m at the point where I’m considering just buying a STA so I don’t have to deal with this, however will I have the same problem w a STA?

Pretty sure that the Halcyon backplates are designed with STA required for single tank. My Halcyon Infinity rigs all came with STA's, and they're very stable and align well with the backplate.

Edit: Looks like some of the carbon fiber plates have the STA molded into the plate itself (Adventure Pro).

Lance

The STA will keep the tank straight without issue.

You will either have to use a STA or get a plate intended for single tank diving. The H plate is a doubles plate as most such are with that center channel that was never intended to locate a single tank without a STA. A STA, single tank adapter, will adapt your doubles plate to single tank diving and end your crooked tank issue. But it will put the tank even further above your back shifting your CG.

does the traveler wing not have an integrated sta? the old pioneer wings did and I thought the new traveler wings were just a modular/two piece version of those.

Does your backplate look like this? This is what the built in STA looks like and if your plate doesn't look like this there is a problem.
Halcyon w STA.jpeg

I don't have a Halcyon wing, but I use a soft stabilizer STA that provides some rotational stability. It does need to be kept a little tight or I feel the tank rotate.

Thanks so much everyone for your help; I’ll find a low profile sta. Love this forum!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom