Halcyon Carbon Fiber STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently I discovered that my cheap Blue Reef SS backplate with my Halcyon single tank wing (the one with cam band holes!) causes my tank to be crooked, therefore I now have to buy a STA. Why the hell wouldn’t Halcyon put integrated STA bars on the wing?!?

I don’t want a heavy bulky one, so I’m looking at the Halcyon carbon fiber STA since it weighs less and appears to place the tank closer to the body, which I prefer.

The problem is I can’t find anywhere online that can confirm if this STA is compatible with non-Halcyon plates or any reviews. It looks like it isn’t a popular product at least on this forum.

Does anyone have experience with it? I can’t see a reason why it would not work with any backplate since it’s bolted in.
You can usually position the wing so the cam bands keep it aligned. Its more work and finicky but you dont 100% need an STA

I was looking at them last time I was at Extreme Exposure, and they’re REALLY nice in person. Never used one, but if you’re looking for something lightweight, I can’t imagine you’ll find a nicer one…

They have standard bolt placement, so it should fit any backplate.

Recently I discovered that my cheap Blue Reef SS backplate with my Halcyon single tank wing (the one with cam band holes!) causes my tank to be crooked, therefore I now have to buy a STA. Why the hell wouldn’t Halcyon put integrated STA bars on the wing?!?

I don’t want a heavy bulky one, so I’m looking at the Halcyon carbon fiber STA since it weighs less and appears to place the tank closer to the body, which I prefer.

The problem is I can’t find anywhere online that can confirm if this STA is compatible with non-Halcyon plates or any reviews. It looks like it isn’t a popular product at least on this forum.

Does anyone have experience with it? I can’t see a reason why it would not work with any backplate since it’s bolted in.
Hmm, why saving weight in STA if you already using SS plate?

Weight goes like this:
halcyon SS STA: 0.94lb or 430g
AL STA (similar ebay version): 110g (I have this)
Halcyon CF STA : 100g?
CF STA (similar shape to ebay AL version ): 90g (I also have this)

IMO, CF is cool as heck, not worth the cost in practical sense for weight saving. In my experience, CF is also not great when go against abrasion, which is highly likely for dive gear. I think AL fair much better for much lower cost and only 20g more.

Do you use the inner camband options, or only the outside ones? It would actually be advantageous for me to use the top one, and the middle one from the bottom
I think the top slot in the H CF STA is too high. Their SS STA slot is not at the right location. At this location, tank will sit very high compare to using slot on plate. And I wonder why the inner slots are so wide.

BTW, I have STA in this shape in AL, CF, Ti. I think this design has the slot at the right place. As for material, I don't even bother with CF or Ti. Ti is heavier than AL by 50%. so AL for travel. SS for home use.

Attachments

• 0ABD7232-CF21-4D8D-A058-A0FC0E57F8AA.jpeg
    0ABD7232-CF21-4D8D-A058-A0FC0E57F8AA.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 49
The 2 piece STA, I have used the one by Oxycheq. It is a nice concept, space saving for packing, and lighter weight. But on a rocking boat, it is more panful to setup

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom