Trip Report Arenui - Bucket List Trip to Raja Ampat, January 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the Arenui, no individual tips are permitted (though I did give Fery a second stage that he tried and liked a lot - a C370). Tips are added at the end, either in your credit card bill or in cash. All the tips are collected and apportioned among the crew according to a formula that wasn't discussed with us. None goes to the owner. But the point was, even the invisible guys below decks shared in the money.
We discussed amounts among our group, and came to a rough consensus which may or may not have been followed by everyone.
I imagine tipping varies greatly depending upon the national habits of the guests. Maybe the one time being an Ameriki is a plus for the crew...
Ah, so thrilled you were able to make it out there! It's one of my favorite places to dive.

I appreciate that they don't allow individual tips. There are a lot of people that we don't see behind the scenes that work hard to ensure the trip goes smoothly and safely. Their contributions are no less than those in front of us and this ensures its fair for everyone because passengers tend to tip those that are customer-facing the most.

@rsingler
Just came off the Arenui in Komodo a couple of weeks ago. As you suggest, it's a great boat, with a great crew. The dive masters were also very (very) good (interestingly, two are from Manado - they claim they are best "critter finders" in all of Indonesia).

We had one of the owners on the boat with us for our trip, which allowed us to see the emphasis they place on the food and service first hand.
The reef hook thing was an issue. In Komodo there are a few places where you will want to hook in and watch the schools of fish. The Arenui (as a principle) tries to avoid using them (although they sell them on the boat). Because of this, we missed some of the best fish action on a couple of dives (compared to our previous trip to Komodo on another boat).

You mentioned the flights needed to get there. I too have been wondering if/when Sorong will be opened as another international airport (for regional connections, like from Singapore). Word is that it will not happen for a very (very) long time - the government has zero motivation to do so, while also seeing what has happened in both Bali and Manado.

Our solution: we fly (from SFO) to Singapore (direct or via Japan, Korea, or Taiwan) then spend the day/night in Singapore (great food, reasonably cheap). Then take the evening flight to Jakarta the next day, to catch the overnight flight to Sorong (BTW: Jakarta customs is easily 5x faster than either Manado or Bali). The night in Singapore really helps with resetting the body clock, etc. We've done this several times now - the only downside being the wait in the Jakarta airport late at night (which is okay, just a bit boring).

Without overstating it, Singapore is known for 2 things, food and shopping. The food at the hawker stands is both reasonably priced and very (very) good. Skip the shopping, but definitely stop and have a great meal. We like it so much we stop for a night on the way out as well.

11 hours layover in Jakarta with a blessedly cheap $30 per person hotel rental for 6 hours while we crashed
Great trip report! I'll have a similar layover in Jakarta this fall. What hotel? It would be great to pay for only 6 hours.

Back
Top Bottom