Question Argonaut Kraken Owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once the quarry warms up a little, I'm sure they guys will be itching to get wet. There are 4 of us who regularly dive DH hose regs....and a new guy just learning so make that 5 of us. Always happy to help a new DH diver. Biggest thing you need to look into is a suitable BC, it needs to hold the reg close to the body and allow the tank to set lower than you might expect. The reg will work without it but unlike single hose regs, DH regs are picky about body placement and don't perform well if not worn properly. I have a couple so I can loan you one to try is you need it.

is it even worth it to keep and use?

I would love to help you find a good home for it 😉😉

If parts become hard to find,
I would make them,

Nothing wrong with it,
go have fun and dive it. Who cares that others don't know what it is.
You're the one that needs to know

Once the quarry warms up a little, I'm sure they guys will be itching to get wet. There are 4 of us who regularly dive DH hose regs....and a new guy just learning so make that 5 of us. Always happy to help a new DH diver. Biggest thing you need to look into is a suitable BC, it needs to hold the reg close to the body and allow the tank to set lower than you might expect. The reg will work without it but unlike single hose regs, DH regs are picky about body placement and don't perform well if not worn properly. I have a couple so I can loan you one to try is you need it.
Hi, in your experience which BC’s have worked well for a low tank placement keeping the regulator close to the body?

Hi, in your experience which BC’s have worked well for a low tank placement keeping the regulator close to the body?
I think I’ve used one with a knighthawk but the Kraken is more forgiving of placement than classic DH regulators.

Keep in mind despite all of the hype that there is a learning curve for breathing from a DH, it is harder to breath from that a good in tune single hose but in 10 minutes or so you will be used to it and won’t really give it any more thought.

They look cool and are often mistaken for a rebreather when people see the hoses, I alway told those not in the DH know that it was a “breather” no re.

I think I’ve used one with a knighthawk but the Kraken is more forgiving of placement than classic DH regulators.

Keep in mind despite all of the hype that there is a learning curve for breathing from a DH, it is harder to breath from that a good in tune single hose but in 10 minutes or so you will be used to it and won’t really give it any more thought.

They look cool and are often mistaken for a rebreather when people see the hoses, I alway told those not in the DH know that it was a “breather” no re.

“Breather”, no re. 😁
Thanks, and understood on the learning curve. I don’t want to hijack the thread but figured the question is relevant to the OP. I’ve used mine several times now but am still working out my kit with regards to placement and so wondered what others have found that works, besides the obvious backpack and horse collar. Cheers!

Depends on the reg, who set it up and how it's dove.
Granted my AK was tweeked a lot but it was put on a modern test machine and had test ran on it. It beat top of the line Scubapro and Atomic regs by a good bit, so much so the shop ran it a second time because they didn't believe the results. The only thing it didn't outperform on was a full flow exhaust , the hose loop restricted the flow some. An old DH reg, yea but the discussion here is on the AK.

As for BC's , if I use one, I use either a VDH packplate with a 15 lb wing or a modified Zeagel ExpressTech with a small wing, it had the lower retainers moved to allow the BC and tank to set lower. I prefer old school USD Kam EZ pac or similar from other brands but these are typically dove without a bladder so some places frown on using them. The blown ones are too thick and don't work well. The goal is to keep the reg as close to the back as possible, between the shoulder blades and it must stay close to the body. Modern BC's tend to float up and off the body, not an issue with single hose regs but really bad for DH regs.

Depends on the reg, who set it up and how it's dove.
Granted my AK was tweeked a lot but it was put on a modern test machine and had test ran on it. It beat top of the line Scubapro and Atomic regs by a good bit, so much so the shop ran it a second time because they didn't believe the results. The only thing it didn't outperform on was a full flow exhaust , the hose loop restricted the flow some. An old DH reg, yea but the discussion here is on the AK.

As for BC's , if I use one, I use either a VDH packplate with a 15 lb wing or a modified Zeagel ExpressTech with a small wing, it had the lower retainers moved to allow the BC and tank to set lower. I prefer old school USD Kam EZ pac or similar from other brands but these are typically dove without a bladder so some places frown on using them. The blown ones are too thick and don't work well. The goal is to keep the reg as close to the back as possible, between the shoulder blades and it must stay close to the body. Modern BC's tend to float up and off the body, not an issue with single hose regs but really bad for DH regs.
Machines is one thing, lungs is another especially in the water.

The breathing dynamics of the double hose reg change continuously underwater as the vertical relationship between the lungs and can change. One moment it will be breathing hard and the next you'll be blowing bubbles through your ears. Nature of the beast.

Machines is one thing, lungs is another especially in the water.

The lungs have no sensation.

When you have a snorkel in your mouth you can be flat, horizontal on the surface, or vertical on the surface and still breath through the snorkel without noticing the difference.

The NEDU (Navy Experimental Diving Unit) and all the commercial regulator (and rebreather) testing devices place the pressure probes on the back of the throat for the regulator "test dummy".

Human perception is very important, to the human, but it is very flawed and inconsistent. We are completely unreliable as a measuring device. Even our mood can affect our perceptions, and that is why we try to do blind tests when it comes to equipment that has to have human interactions. And even that is flawed.

The color of an item, like alpine skis affect how people perceive how they perform.

Human perception is extremely important when we have to interact with a machine, but we tend to be very poor judge of a machine performance if it is not instrumented. But, we tend to kid our self. We cannot even tell air temperature, but this another discussion...

To the OP,

Sorry that your thread has a few deviations, but most of the advice you received in the early posts are good.

I do recommend that try to get together with Herman. Whether you end up liking a double hose regulator or not is always hard to tell, but you will gain in knowledge either way.

And most important, have fun diving.

“Breather”, no re. 😁
Thanks, and understood on the learning curve. I don’t want to hijack the thread but figured the question is relevant to the OP. I’ve used mine several times now but am still working out my kit with regards to placement and so wondered what others have found that works, besides the obvious backpack and horse collar. Cheers!
No problem at all with me, don't feel like you're hijacking. I too was curious to hear the advice, and i'm now looking for a solid bp/w set up to learn and use :wink:

Back
Top Bottom