Article: Don't Worry - It Will Be OK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Analysis, Part 2

Before I begin, I would like to say that I'm not looking for any work from this. I have been analyzing diving accidents for many years now, and have not received any income from that endeavor. However, since I have been in the safety profession for over 30 years, and have insights others may not know of, I feel the need to give my own thoughts about these situations.

Concerning this particular situation, it is based only upon the above commentary. This may or may not be completely accurate. Normally, for an in-depth accident analysis, the persons involved are interviewed in detail, about the events, the time lines, the protocols, the responses, actions and inactions, etc. Without these inputs, an actual complete analysis is not possible. However, some generalized observations can be made.

Specific Measures

Dan Peterson's Model 3 can be used to give some perspectives that we all can take away from this situation. We will be looking at the right side of this flow diagram (the top and left side were discussed in a previous entry). Here is that model again:

DanPetersonsSecondCausationModel.jpg

If we look at the center three items of this right side, for the specific situation, we see that we all have a capacity with a load in a state, to paraphrase Dan Peterson.

Our capacity changes day-to-day, and even with the time of day. For instance, I am now 66 years old. I don't have the capacity I had when I was a Pararescueman in my late 20s or early 30s. While I can still handle twin-tank scuba, I probably would have trouble with 150 pounds of gear on a parascuba jump. So capacity changes. We need to understand that, and if a situation develops which could put us in jeopardy, feel free to call it and abort.

The load can also change. This can be a physical load, or a mental road. For instance, using rental gear that a person is unfamiliar with will tax a person mentally, as the dive suit, buckles, the regulator(s) and the BC will be in different positions, have different buoyancy characteristics, and different orientations. This causes a "load" on the diver.

The "state" is the state of mind. For someone expecting an orientation dive, and then not being supported, the "state" will be of anxiety rather than relaxed confidence. This anxiety was apparently expressed to the boat captain.

Capacity can be changed with training, and a good orientation, briefing, discussion of emergency procedures, etc. can help increase the diver's capacity to dive in a particular situation. The load can be analyzed using what we in the safety profession call a "Job Safety Analysis", or JSA. In a JSA, the steps for any process in the jobsite are determined, then the hazards of each step, with the safety precautions and personal protective equipment (PPE) required for each step is determined. This is done in a table format.

The diver's "state" can also be changed, through good rest, preparation, nutrition, etc.

So on any given date, our capacity with a load in a state changes, and we need to recognize this and ensure that our capacity is such as to be able to handle the situations as they develop. This is what your scuba training is supposed to do.

There are two sections of this part of the flow chart we have not yet discussed. These are the "Decision to error" and the "Traps" that are set for us.

The "Decision to error" can occur because of group pressure, because of internal conflicts, or many other things. We do this sometimes in our driving, by not completely stopping for a stop sign, for instance. Sometimes it is a group decision, an "egging on" or a dynamic that says we can do something we know is a stretch. It may take a very strong-willed person to go against this group decision. Dive instructors should probably reinforce that there will be those times when a new diver should go against the group decision if the diver feels that the dive is more than his or her capacity at a particular time. We all should say that once in a while. If I had done this for a dive in 1973, my buddy and I would not have spent about 4 hours trapped off the Oregon coast, and needing rescue by the U.S. Coast Guard (but that's another story).

Now, let's talk about "traps". In diving, there are many potential "traps", and our training helps us to overcome them by enlightening us about them. How many of us would know about decompression sickness if we had not undergone our scuba training? Part of our instruction has to do with emergency procedures, or how to get out of a "trap". The trap can be a malfunctioning piece of gear, or being overweighted, or having a failure of a dry suit in extremely cold water. Each of these instantly impacts the "loading" of the diver in a situation.

Richard, in the post above this one, proposed a means of potentially ranking a particular dive. In the safety profession, we call this "risk ranking" and it is a very useful tool (though the standard is much different, and we don't have space to go into it here). But each of us has the ability to look over a particular situation, and make a determination as to whether it is safe for us to try on that particular day, with are particular capacity, the environmental and equipment load, and our particular state at the time. If there is something to take away from this situation, is is that we need to make these evaluations each and every time we go diving (or for that matter, in other activities too).

The whole idea of dive safety is to put into place both the individual (specific) survival tools though training, equipment design, etc., and the organizational tools (SOPs, emergency procedures, orientations, briefings, etc.) to ensure a safe diving experience. If this is not happening, then it is both the organization's and the individual's joint responsibility to "call" the dive, and not get into the water.

John C. Ratliff (SeaRat), CSP, CIH, MSPH

John is a Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, and has his Master of Science in Public Health, with an emphasis on safety and industrial hygiene. John is also an ex-NAUI instructor (#2710), ex-USAF Pararescueman, and has been actively diving since 1959. He writes regularly on the Vintage Equipment portion of ScubaBoard.

Last edited:
That story was like a smack in the face. Wake Up! I don't realise that this sport is dangerous when I am ready to hop in the water, all keen and gung-ho. I think in the future if I'm ever diving with someone who is less comfortable than I am, I will tell them about Jennifer Simmonds, and the message that you, Bob and Julie, have so bravely and responsibly communicated here.

Thanks Bob and Julie, and I'm so sorry for your loss.
@ Julie - Your courage amazes me, in that you are now certified and training others to take care.

Psalm 91: 14-16

Thank you Julie for sharing this story. I can not even begin to imagine how hard it is to tell. Bob thank you for your excellent work in helping put this tragedy to paper.

Julie the courage you have shown is simply amazing. To not only take up the hobby that took the life of your daughter, but to also go back to the same sight is simply remarkable. While I do to know you, and can make no judgement of your personality, I can tell that you are a very strong woman.
Thank you. I haven't jumped off the boat yet but it is something I've wanted to do for the last five years. I need to see the site, much like someone who has lost a loved one in a car accident goes to the site of the crash. My daughter was an amazing person and I do this in her memory.

I believe this article should be compulsory reading for all divers, but especially student divers Dive Masters and Instructors. It is my intention to print it off and keep it for distribution to all divers I meet. I am soon to do a refresher course after some years away from the water and I will be giving a copy to my instructor and suggesting he distribute it to all his students from now on. I think we owe it to Julie to makes sure the lessons contained in the article are learned by all so that Jennifer's death saves other lives and that she did not die in vain.
I really appreciate it - the more people who read about, think about and discuss her accident, the better.

It is always hard to read these kinds of articles but I agree that they are necessary to raise the awareness of our diving population that many diving accidents can be prevented.

My buddy and I had an understanding that at any time either of us could call a dive for any reason without having to give an explanation. It was just accepted that if either of wasn't comfortable that was a good enough reason to abort.

I think it's exceptionally difficult for a new diver to call a dive. First off, because they often don't recognize when they should, and secondly ... and perhaps even more imperatively ... because they really don't want to.

One of the hardest things about being a new diver is getting experience. Most experienced divers don't want to take new divers diving ... particularly not on boat dives where they just paid a lot of money and want to get the most out of their dives.

And new divers will often place concerns about the money they spent on the boat and rental gear above safety concerns, especially when they've got more experienced divers reassuring them that everything will work out OK ... it is, after all what they want to hear and what they want to believe.

I understand that in Europe it is usually easier for new divers to gain experience through mentor programs run by their dive clubs. Perhaps we here in the states should take a closer look at that model, and "pay forward" the experience we gained off the goodwill and patience of the more experienced divers we dived with over the years. Dive shops could benefit from programs designed to get newly certified divers active by offering regularly scheduled, and supervised, dives at relatively benign dive sites.

Some currently do ... but most don't. One of the dive clubs I belong to currently offers a "Big Buddy" program, where a newly certified diver gets "adopted" by a more experienced member, and they go on dives together over the course of the year. I think that program has huge benefits, and should be promoted more widely.

Many of us have benefitted from mentors who helped us get some bottom time under out weightbelts when we were new. We need to, perhaps, put more effort into paying it forward. In doing so, we can reduce the temptation for new divers to attempt dives they shouldn't be doing by offering them alternative ways to gain experience in a safer, more controlled environment.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob that is what really gets me. A lot of divers forget they were new once also. Out of my last 100 dives almost 75 of them were at easy shallow sites because I was helping new divers. I wanted to do the advances dives, but then te new guys would have been left to fend for themselves.

I never understand why new divers or inexperienced divers are paired together. I often dive with new divers even if it means a threesome as new divers make for poor buddies. Having an experienced buddy boosts confidence and makes the dive less stressful.

This was a sad story but I guessed that when I saw the article.

First of all, my condolences to the family.
I remember my first dive after being certified. My checkout was with a nice group of students doing all our first open water dives. The school where I took my OWD course had everything under control. The boat was all for us and we were 2 students per instructor. We did a total of 8 dives, including my 2 first night dives. A few months after this I went to the same boat operator, but alone. I was buddied with also a new diver like me. Those were dives number 9 and 10 for me and for my insta-buddy numbers 8 and 9. We dived a shallow rocky coast from the boat in a protected bay with no currents and no waves.

My first open water check out dive on Singer Island ,Fla at 27 should have been filmed on what" Not" to do.Every rule was broken and to say quite scary is an understatement.

Being your first open water dive is a bit of an out of body experience I think. Your adrenaline rushing, your senses on high alert, your thinking you will be in great hands..

My regulator didn't feel right to me (slow leak), my weight belt forgotten to be checked out by my DM. My DM punching his student instructor as we are descending. I am making the abort the dive hand signal the whole time ,being ignored,while we dropped to 100 feet to check out the huge loggerhead. The DM removing his belt and wrestling me down against the strong drift dive current, while tying his belt the back of my tanks. I was in disbelief and didn't react properly...I did manage to enjoy the dive and was happy to be ok...The lesson learned,Priceless!

One of the dive clubs I belong to currently offers a "Big Buddy" program, where a newly certified diver gets "adopted" by a more experienced member, and they go on dives together over the course of the year. I think that program has huge benefits, and should be promoted more widely.

This is an excellent idea Bob! I may have to work with our shop here to implement something like that. We do a lot of trips to the quarry so new divers can get experience but I like the idea of a"Big Buddy" mentorship.

Back
Top Bottom