Artificial Reef - Toronto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred3798, your original question was never responded to in this form properly. In fact the responses were out of line.

Did these answers drive you to other interests or did you get an answer some other way.

Has anyone taken the PADI fish ID course ?

We did. I enjoyed it and thought it was a good grounding in types of fish and specific differentiated features for later ID. Like win any course, instructor quality is going o be critical.

I spoke to the Harbour Master and to a salvage company about salvaging an existing wreck. The task is very daunting on a number of different levels. Absent some real interest from a large number of people, the task is just too large for me at this time. On the good news side, I did not receive the usual flaiming opposition expected.

The diving industry is dead forget about it.

The diving industry is dead forget about it.

1 million+ certifications per year is hardly dead. I have only been diving locally for 10 years so I cannot compare to before that.......I can say 10 years ago a Saturday morning in Wiarton would have had every inch of parking space taken......now you are lucky if you are there with one or two other cars. So locally, it does seem to have taken a hit but that does not necessarily mean fewer local divers......just fewer that are willing to brave the cold water for "boring" dives. I dive as often as I can, even "locally", and enjoy them very much because I love diving........but a new wreck or interesting dive would steal money from my wallet. Especially if it was out of Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville or Toronto because it would be a short commute. I do agree that this area is unlikely to ever support a booming scuba industry....but selfishly I can still hope :D.

Has anyone taken the PADI fish ID course ?
I did about 20 years ago. One of the best courses I have taken. ( Fish ID freak and not a PADI diver) Diving has changed a lot over the last 25 years. It is not the same sport as once was, nor are the divers or their attitudes. 20 years ago was pretty much the start of the end of the diving hay day. Economies, changing life styles have all lead to the decline. Now its about numbers with too many organizations chasing after too few resources. There are too many nanny courses with too little emphasis on good skills development.

Dale

The day of the dive shop has come and only a unaware fool would get into this business today banks won't even concider supporting scuba shops anymore there on the most failed business list. Most of you scuby dooers out there shop online. (ADMIT IT) I've been in this busness for 35 years its not what it used to be every year I see more and more of my dive shop owner friends close up because store sales are down and you can't run a business trying to compete with ProBass, Coso, Walmart etc, etc they move way more volume at a cheaper price and cut to deep into a dive shops bread and butter mask, fins, snorkels and wet suits. At one time there were 13 dive charter operators in Brockville and 6 in Kingston I think there is 3 total now a sign that divers just don't have the cash to throw at diving, there are much cheaper family sports out there.

The only thing they can offer is service. They cannot compete on price. Even service is tough. I just paid my Dive shop $70 to send a Suunto dive computer to Suunto for assessment. For $70 I got told that my computer was dead after 65 dives. Out of warranty so too bad. Oh they offered 5% off my next purchase. Too bad they couldn't offer me 5% off the Cobalt that I bought online.

Back
Top Bottom