Trip Report Aruba - June 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeTPhilly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I spent 2 weeks in Aruba last month and wanted to give a brief report. Aruba really isn't a scuba destination but some diving is better than no diving. I go with my girlfriend and family and am the only diver so I go diving in the mornings and get back to the room around 1 pm for lunch. We then enjoy the beach, pool or whatever.

The past two years I dove with S.E. Aruba Fly N Dive. I was thinking of diving with other operators so I looked into JADS and Agua Windies.

JADS was the most responsive with emails and information. I was planning on diving with them but a couple things turned me off. The main one being the boat didn't have a head. I don't want to be on a boat for 4 or 5 hours without a head. Another was the person seemed to want a deposit and I was still deciding. The emails just rubbed me the wrong way so they were eliminated.

Agua Windies took a bit of time to respond to my email but I got a good feeling about the operation. They have a nice boat with a head. They seem to have positive reviews so I was leaning to use them during the trip.

S.E. Aruba Fly N Dive is who I ended up diving with again. They have a great boat with a head. The DMs and crew are good and fun. They have free pickup and drop-off. They have a couple DIN tanks while the other two ops I was looking at only had yoke. Also, I dove with them the past couple of years so I ended up diving with them again. They were great but they frequent a lot of the same dive sites. I dove 8 days so in those 16 dives there were quite a few repeats. I think next year I will dive with Agua Windies at least for a day or two for a change of scenery.

We go to Aruba for topside stuff but decent diving can be done; just don't have high expectations.

Thanks for the report.

Guessing you did more dive sites out from the airport and farther south with maybe 1 day up to the Antilla. I dove with Palm Beach Divers (one of 3 ops that got back with me) earlier this year and we went as far south as the airport 1 day, the rest being up north, close to their shop - which led to repeats. Didn't see too many other dive boats, if any, from ops farther south. Think they're saving on gas!

I think most ops want a deposit anymore, but I usually wait until I arrive wherever we go. Agree that Aruba is not necessarily a diving destination, but there are a few decent sites/wrecks and it is an opportunity to get wet.

Thanks for the report.

Guessing you did more dive sites out from the airport and farther south with maybe 1 day up to the Antilla. I dove with Palm Beach Divers (one of 3 ops that got back with me) earlier this year and we went as far south as the airport 1 day, the rest being up north, close to their shop - which led to repeats. Didn't see too many other dive boats, if any, from ops farther south. Think they're saving on gas!

I think most ops want a deposit anymore, but I usually wait until I arrive wherever we go. Agree that Aruba is not necessarily a diving destination, but there are a few decent sites/wrecks and it is an opportunity to get wet.
Yep, you got it right virtually all of the dives were south of the airport near their location. We didn't even make it up to Antilla this year. We only went north of the airport to do the plane wrecks and garden reef. Yes, they are saving on gas but I think they are also trying to get back early because they do the Discover Scuba Dives after the morning 2 tank dives.

I am sure they all would like deposits. However, JADS are non-refundable if not cancelled 30 days in advance. I found that a bit ridiculous. It was already less than 30 days to my trip so no way I was giving a deposit. Also, the boats in Aruba are rarely full so I knew there would be no problem diving without booking in advance.

All in all a good trip with the highlight being seeing a large frog fish. Actually, the highlight was watching baby leatherbacks swimming to the sea. I missed the hatching as it was around 10 pm but the next day the nest was excavated and 7 stragglers were found alive and they were released. Very cool to see.

What did you enjoy topside? My only 2 visits to Aruba were cruise ship single day stops; I recall beautiful sandy beach, a scenic bus tour and a sort of multi-activity water park (with the kid in mind). What did you do?

What did you enjoy topside? My only 2 visits to Aruba were cruise ship single day stops; I recall beautiful sandy beach, a scenic bus tour and a sort of multi-activity water park (with the kid in mind). What did you do?
Yes, the beaches are beautiful. I stay on Eagle Beach and it is great. The only thing is sometimes the wind kicks up some sand. Also, we trek down to Baby Beach a couple times each trip. There is a mini water park on DePalm Island we went to in the past but found it a big waste. We have done the glass bottom boat tour, Jet skis, visited the Butterfly Farm, Donkey Sanctuary, Ostrich farm, Phillip's Animal Garden, Natural Bridge and other various sites. However, we just try to do a few sites each trip and spend most of the time at one of the beaches or the pool. Aruba has some good snorkeling spots too.

Drrich2, Aruba has lots more to do topside than Bonaire. Just back Sunday. It’s a vacation where you may dive not a dive vacation. We did atv’s one day and had a great time. Auto drivers very polite (not like Cozumel and their scooters), gave us lots of room and would stop so the 4 of us could stay together. Parasailing was great. Lots of kite surfers. Many really good restaurants. It is an expensive island. Beaches are incredible and at Eagle or Palm beach very walkable so no need for a car in most cases.

Anything specific you’re looking for? I like your posts, very informative and want to pay you back for all the help you’ve been to me!

Post here or pm me anything you want to know.

Cheers! Bill

The two plane wrecks are unique as they are both large and intact enough to penetrate and both are accessible by shoreline. Boat dive operators charge around $75 for a two tank dive, if only tanks and weights, other rental gear is extra

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the report.

You can dive further soith from the planes all over to The dog cementary: plenty dive spot you don't meet a
soul. Pristine deep water ....enjoy next time

I am sure they all would like deposits. However, JADS are non-refundable if not cancelled 30 days in advance. I found that a bit ridiculous. It was already less than 30 days to my trip so no way I was giving a deposit.
I don't blame you -- I'll pay a deposit, but I avoid dive ops that have unreasonable cancellation policies. For me, that means about any policy requiring over 48 hours for most normal circumstances, and I prefer 24 hours. And those with "only credit for a later date, no refunds" folks are a non-starter with me also.

Yep, you got it right virtually all of the dives were south of the airport near their location. We didn't even make it up to Antilla this year. We only went north of the airport to do the plane wrecks and garden reef. Yes, they are saving on gas but I think they are also trying to get back early because they do the Discover Scuba Dives after the morning 2 tank dives.

I am sure they all would like deposits. However, JADS are non-refundable if not cancelled 30 days in advance. I found that a bit ridiculous. It was already less than 30 days to my trip so no way I was giving a deposit. Also, the boats in Aruba are rarely full so I knew there would be no problem diving without booking in advance.

All in all a good trip with the highlight being seeing a large frog fish. Actually, the highlight was watching baby leatherbacks swimming to the sea. I missed the hatching as it was around 10 pm but the next day the nest was excavated and 7 stragglers were found alive and they were released. Very cool to see.
Next time try the real deep wrecks and go on nitrox or try deco diving with Pure Diving Aruba: Steven Koedijk, Alonso Urdaneta and Jeroen.
You ask Norman Arends to take you di ing at the north side which is a real challenge even for is native. That is still pristine and not
contaminated. On the south side all corals are sick.....Remeber we had an oil refinary on the south side spilling dumping its oil.

Back
Top Bottom