As Seen on TV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJeffreyM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone watching the Planet Green Series "Oceans Blue" with Phillipe Cousteu, et al? Please help me understand the basic rig they seem to be using. They are diving with com helmets and what appears to be a standard BCD type rig with a smaller (perhaps 40CF) tank piggybacked on the side.

Anyone?...Bueller?

Sea of Cortez & Red Sea were aired on 8/8/10

Southern Ocean & Indian Ocean aired on 8/15/10

Atlantic Ocean & Arctic Ocean will air on 8/22/10

Seems they might have used more than a couple different configurations for all the series. Which episode(s) was that rig in?

I can't remember what it is called, but there is a new type of diving for people that the practice only uses a small tank of oxygen. I THINK its a way for people to dive without the OW cert(for resorts and such). But I could be wrong.

I thought I remember seeing something on SB regarding this equipment set up. Maybe someone else will be able to find the post

:coffee:

I tried counting regulators, and my thought was that they are only using the small tanks when speaking through the full face mask, and then are likely diving the bigger tank with a regular mask while doing everything else.

Remember they have to FIND the stuff they are filming and talking about.

That was my guess, but it is just a guess.

I am bumping this thread to the top because I was wondering the same thing. Was also wondering what that little red thing was next to their mouths inside their ffm?

I am bumping this thread to the top because I was wondering the same thing. Was also wondering what that little red thing was next to their mouths inside their ffm?

My first guess was a microphone, but just a guess.

I see on the Bahamas trip they used the Caribbean Explorer II, an Explorer Ventures boat. We were aboard her in February diving Saba, Statia, and St. Kitts.

I was wondering the same thing about the extra tank. My guess is a bail out bottle in case of a major malfunction with their full face masks. But it's just a guess...

Its an awesome series that I've really enjoyed watching as it sounds like others have. As to their set ups, I have no idea, so....BUMP!

The red thing is a microphone, it's an EMA-2 from Ocean Technology Systems. I was watching the Arctic episode and didn't see the extra bottle, but they were diving dry suits so it might have been an Argon bottle. I am recording the series now (thanks), and will keep an eye out.

Microphone yeah....duh. Those ffm were cool, about the blueest blue I've ever seen. If I ever need a ffm it's gotta be that one. I used to dive with this girl who wanted to get ffm and communication equipment so we could talk, but I never wanted to talk under water. Come to think of it, I never really wanted to talk to her above water either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom