Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know if it's the "Viet Nam Helicopter Pilot Assn." bumper sticker and Purple Heart license plate or what, but I want to thank you guys for never giving me a speeding ticket when you've pulled me over . . . .

the K

Here's a q?: Speaking of the pre-hire screening, is there a specific, formal term for the wanna-be-too-badly type? I'm thinking of the personality type who's too anxious for the authority; cowboy; can't wait to wear the gun and the badge. And how are those screened out? Fortunately, there aren't too many of those who are accepted into the forces, but the ones who do make it are the ones who will later make headlines of the worst sort.

WW,

I think they get pushed to the front of the line.

My comment on out of state plates. My wife was in Georgia on business at about the same time her son/my step-son was in jump school at Fort Benning. She was stopped on base for rolling through a stop sign. (BTW: this is a federal offense since it is on federal land.) The MP, upon first greeting her, told her that around there they call what she did a "California Stop." My wife responded with something like "That makes sense" and handed him her license...her California license. He responded that "The guys are never going to believe this;" and sent her on her way with a warning.

Now, my question/complaint:

I sometimes sit as a traffic judge in LA Superior Court and I see lots of speeding tickets, but have never seen an obstructing traffic ticket. Obstructing traffic by driving too slowly or daydreaming instead of making a turn is, in my view, at least as hazardous as speeding. It causes everyone else to become frustrated and then to drive particularly poorly or aggressively. So, why no tickets for obstructing traffic by driving too slowly?

ItsBruce:
Now, my question/complaint:

I sometimes sit as a traffic judge in LA Superior Court and I see lots of speeding tickets, but have never seen an obstructing traffic ticket. Obstructing traffic by driving too slowly or daydreaming instead of making a turn is, in my view, at least as hazardous as speeding. It causes everyone else to become frustrated and then to drive particularly poorly or aggressively. So, why no tickets for obstructing traffic by driving too slowly?

I agree. I would also like the driving while on the cell phone law enforced. Anything that is a distraction while driving is fair game. They should really curb that habbit!

And if you have Texas plates in Louisiana, forget about it! You will be pulled over.

ItsBruce:

It's nice to see someone from the bench weighing in on this topic.

With driving too slow (CVC 22400a) it all depends on one's interpretation of "impede or block the normal and reasonable flow of traffic." In California, NOBODY drives the speed limit except when they know there's a cop around; 10 MPH over is common, with 15 over becoming more frequent. So one could argue that by driving the posted limit, one is "impeding the normal flow" of traffic. While CVC 22400a does provide exemptions if it is "necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law" it's tricky to cite a motorist for this section.

People tend to get rather upset if they feel they're driving as fast as they safely can (particularly the elderly) and SLAM! they're being cited for it. That just fuels the notion of police officers being "armed tax collectors." For that reason, I only cite for this section when I can clearly articulate the notion of "impeding" to a judge, such as 35 MPH on a posted 65 MPH freeway (with traffic going above that) or something like 10 MPH in a posted 35 MPH zone. Another reason I would use it is for someone who is FULLY stopped in a traffic lane for reasons not related to safe operation or to comply with the law, which is actually the more common reason for me to issue such a cite.

As a traffic court judge, what would YOU consider to be "impeding?"

As to why we tend to write more speeding tickets than "impeding" tickets is simple: I can name NUMEROUS traffic collisions that I've investigated in which excessive speed was the primary collision factor, or else a secondary collision factor in which the primary was DUI. In nearly 13 years, I have yet to to come across one in which someone driving too slow caused a collision. While some would argue that slow drivers are prone to being rear-ended, and/or cause other drivers to make unsafe lane changes to avoid hitting them, my argument is that regardless of the posted limit, one should NEVER drive above that speed that would allow him/her to safely react to any roadway hazards, including vehicles that are driving slowly or even stopped in unexpected places. It's the concept behind the Basic Speed Law.

If someone's slow driving is bringing out the aggression of another driver, or causes that other driver to drive in a reckless manner, it's the OTHER driver who needs an attitude adjustment in the form of a citation, or even an arrest if warranted. However, it's another example of how Americans like to blame the other guy for their own screwups.

Off-duty, when I feel someone is driving "too slow" I take a hard look at myself, and my speedometer. Is this person driving "too slow" when they're already at the posted limit? Or is it just me being impatient, and I'm blaming the guy in front of me when it's really me to blame?

Now, there are other forms of "obstructing" that are also citable under the California Vehicle Code. You speak about "daydreaming and not making a turn" which I presume to be left turns. Only problem with that is if the motorist is facing a circular green and not a green arrow, the onus is on the motorist to make sure his/her left turn is being done in a safe manner, since a collision with oncoming traffic will almost automatically put that left-turning motorist at fault. Green left arrow of course is a different story, it's mandating that you go unless necessary for safe operation, or to prevent blocking the intersection in violation of the anti-gridlock law.

Another myth here in California is that a motorist MUST make a right turn on red. CVC 21453(b) states that a motorist MAY, not SHALL, but MAY make a right turn on red (or left turn on red if from a one way street onto a one way street) when safe to do so, unless signs at the intersection specifically prohibit it. Again, absent a green right arrow (with the same exceptions as above), the onus is on the motorist to make sure that a right turn on red is being done in a safe manner. So if the motorist does not feel comfortable until the light turns green...that's just too bad for the people behind him or her.

If a motorist does not IMMEDIATELY go on their green, yes they could be daydreaming, or maybe they're checking to make sure it's clear to enter the intersection. The California Vehicle Code clearly states that traffic that first entered the intersection on a green or a yellow have the right of way, even if you now have the green light. Where I will issue (and have issued) a cite is if the motorist is truly not paying attention, and they've let their signal cycle all the way to red for no legitimate reason such as unsafe to cross, emergency vehicles coming through, will cause them to block the intersection in violation of the anti-gridlock law, etc. With the increasing proliferation of red-light runners, taking an extra second before entering the intersection could save your life. Many traffic engineers will intentionally "delay" the onset of a green signal for a second or two for this very reason.

RadRob:
I would also like the driving while on the cell phone law enforced. Anything that is a distraction while driving is fair game. They should really curb that habbit!

Rob, as I stated in a previous post, California has no such law. A few municipalities have passed such laws, but it's only enforceable within those municipalities.

As far as distractions, one could argue that many things commonly found in today's automobiles are distractions. Stereos are big, both for the way they can take away your attention (tuning the radio, changing tapes/CD's, etc.) but also because most sound systems are powerful enough to drown out the sirens of approaching emergency vehicles. In California, one of my favorite sections to cite for is CVC 27007, which states you can be cited if your sound system can be heard from as little as 50 feet away from the vehicle. This is not just for the courtesy of the drivers around you who don't care to be bombarded with your particular taste in music, but for the safety of emergency vehicle operators. Now do you want the government to ban stereos in cars?

Another one is eating/drinking while driving. Ever wonder why the Germans were the last to put cupholders in their cars? Because in Germany, to even drink a soda from a straw while driving is against the law. I'm not sure how well such a law would go over in this country, especially with the distances we tend to drive.

How about misbehaving children? Would you like a ticket because you yelled at your son to stop teasing his sister, even if you still maintained control of your car?

WaterWayne:
Here's a q?: Speaking of the pre-hire screening, is there a specific, formal term for the wanna-be-too-badly type? I'm thinking of the personality type who's too anxious for the authority; cowboy; can't wait to wear the gun and the badge. And how are those screened out? Fortunately, there aren't too many of those who are accepted into the forces, but the ones who do make it are the ones who will later make headlines of the worst sort.

Wayne,

We try very hard to not let such types in, but as you said a few do slip through the cracks.

Often, when it does happen, there long had been indicators that the person was not suitable for hire, but for one reason or another they were hired anyway. A great example was Rafael Perez of the LAPD Rampart scandal; he had been turned down by several other agencies for background-related reasons, but the LAPD felt pressured to hire him due to a court mandate specifying x number of Hispanics that had to be hired by them.

Another reason is low pay and/or other poor working conditions. New Orleans PD, which has had problems long before Hurricane Katrina, extremely low pay was the issue. They were forced to hire marginal candidates because nobody else would do the job for what they paid, and ended up with the worst corruption problem of any department in the US. Little wonder a large chunk of the department abandoned their posts during and after the hurricane.

Sometimes it's the political culture. If the city of Washington DC can elect a convicted felon to be their mayor, does it surprise you that their police department has had problems as well?

As far as the out-of-state plate issue, I don't treat out-of-staters any harsher than locals when it comes to violations. If anything, I'm more likely to give them a break on certain rules of the road, or certain equipment violations, that may be permissible back home.

For example, it's illegal to tint your front windows in CA, even lightly, but many states allow it. While I may use it as a reason to pull someone over, I won't necessarily cite an out-of-stater for it.

Now certain things I know are illegal everywhere, such as speeding, and running red lights/stop signs, and out-of-staters don't get a break here.

What does set off alarm bells with me is when someone is driving a CA registered car (other than a rental) but with a out of state driver's license. Many people think that if their CA license is suspended, they can simply apply for a new one out of state, but that still does NOT allow them to drive in CA. I always check such persons for the presence of a CA license to see if it's suspended, and if so they'll be treated accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom