ASL (American Sign Language) for diver communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackice once bubbled...
PADI Underwater Communications Course - coming soon to a PADI 5 Star Dive Shop near you!!!

And, of course, the tech version: SIR-f

:eek:ut:

My niece is a signing teacher so we've had a lengthy discussion about using it for diving.

One problem I see is that a lot of it seems to require both hands which becomes problematic if you need a light. Also with heavy gloves it looks like certain signs would be difficult to give or read. There is also the possible issue of narc effect.

I came to the conclusion after talking with her about it that I'm better off just pulling out a small slate if I have to convey anything more complicated than the usual signals, but it's an interesting thought.

John F

Some good points there, I guess it would depend on the dive enviroment:
shallow corals and warm weather : signing might be well received
cave diving : may make it impossible, due to issue of space, light and task loading

the both hands requirement might rule out night dives, unless we start using lights on our heads much like the european cave divers, but then that is a whole new task loading issue but it might work.

But then again there are dives where you really don;t need to talk, when it's about the peace and quite of the ocean.

I have signed (ASL) a lot longer than I've been SCUBA diving.

I find signing very useful....but I don't sit and have conversations. We can work out navigation questions (this way or that way, which do you choose?), or describe whatever interesting thing we're pointing at (I don't know how many times I've had someone try to point something out to me underwater and I've missed it entirely...this way my buddy can be specific and tell me they're pointing at the blue fish...or whatever)....its also useful to more fully discus a problem and/or the solution. I find it easier to use word/concept signs instead of the alphabet...word/concept sings tend to be bigger signs and less precise...where the alphabet is pretty detailed finger positions...harder to deal with for me underwater.

We use it as another communication tool....like all tools, very few are right for every person and/or situation.

Peace,
Cathie

JohnF once bubbled...
My niece is a signing teacher so we've had a lengthy discussion about using it for diving.

One problem I see is that a lot of it seems to require both hands which becomes problematic if you need a light. Also with heavy gloves it looks like certain signs would be difficult to give or read. There is also the possible issue of narc effect.

I came to the conclusion after talking with her about it that I'm better off just pulling out a small slate if I have to convey anything more complicated than the usual signals, but it's an interesting thought.

John F

CuriousMe once bubbled...
I have signed (ASL) a lot longer than I've been SCUBA diving.

I find signing very useful....but I don't sit and have conversations. We can work out navigation questions (this way or that way, which do you choose?), or describe whatever interesting thing we're pointing at (I don't know how many times I've had someone try to point something out to me underwater and I've missed it entirely...this way my buddy can be specific and tell me they're pointing at the blue fish...or whatever)....its also useful to more fully discus a problem and/or the solution. I find it easier to use word/concept signs instead of the alphabet...word/concept sings tend to be bigger signs and less precise...where the alphabet is pretty detailed finger positions...harder to deal with for me underwater.

We use it as another communication tool....like all tools, very few are right for every person and/or situation.

Peace,
Cathie

You're right, of course. Any skill that one can put to use is a bonus, but to learn ASL just for diving, the cost in terms of time would likely outweigh the benefits derived. If I dived with a regular buddy who could sign with me it would make more sense, and if all my diving was in good viz with lots of ambient light and we were diving warm water obviating the need for heavy gloves etc.

My niece often has us signing at the dinner table at family dinners, and it's fun, but I doubt I'd ever concentrate long enough to learn enough to use underwater. When and if I have occasion to spend a lot of time with someone who needs me to sign then I'll put more effort into learning. In the meantime I'm stuck with only one language and I envy those fluent in more languages than my one.

John F

Well JohnF all new trends have to start someplace. And this is such a neat tool. Figure it this way if you take the time to learn now as I plan on doing this will give you plenty of time to learn it before it ges more main stream. Take the to tell all your buddies what you are learning and they too may join in as it is a great way to communicate. Figure it this way how many have already read this thread and said hey I will try this also how many will read this thread in the future and also take it up?

It may take time for this new trend to full take hold over the very basic SCUBA hand signals but is well worth the expenditure of time. Learning a new language is always worth it. I know my wifes Japanese and I am trying to learn Japanese so I can better communicate on our trips to Japan. Plus as I mentioned in my post above Signing is good on dry land and in the water so...

It was developed by hearing people because they were not comfortable with deaf people using ASL which they considered to be "bad English." ASL is not "bad English" it is not English at all. SEE was an attempt to fix gramatical errors that do not exist.

Walter,
what you said above might be true somewhere. SEE was developed as a TOOL for teaching deaf children English. Books,
magazines and instructions are printed in English. 20 years ago
a deaf ASL only child had a reading comprehension level far below that of other children of the same age. That is why SEE
signing was developed. ASL is by far a much more beautiful language however, it IS a foriegn language.

I was cruising around the web at work this morning and stumbled onto this page that teaches the American Sign Language alphabet:

http://www.where.com/scott.net/asl/abc.html

It reminded me of a discussion that several of us had a month or two ago at Hibiscus with Walter, and of his flashing out the alphabet while we were talking. We were discussing how useful it would be to hone our signing skills to better communicate underwater. I mean, after all, the "okay" sign, the shoulder shrug, the shark fin and the "go that way", as well as thumbs up and thumbs down, leave a bit to be desired.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the resource. It has some nice little quizzes that are quite humbling, at least for me.

Now to just discipline myself to practice it!!

My wife and I had that same thought: spelling out a word or two would be quicker and easier than fumbling with a slate. Thanks for the link- another way to fill some downtime at work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom