At $40/year, why don't all travelers carry PLBs - everywhere...?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apples & oranges - both good for you, but different. The PLB (ACR or other brand) will alert the authorities to a to an emergency need and all include local homing signals I think.

The Nautilus is cheaper than a PLB & Canister Combo and probably easier to carry, and you can use it day to day to talk to your boat, etc - if you charge it regularly, they monitor that channel - and I think all are supposed to, and have line of sight access. It's only for marine use tho, and while 4,000 square miles sound like a big coverage area - that's only a 35 mile line: 35 x 35 x π = 3,848. See Nautilus LifeLine Marine Rescue Radio with GPS

Ultimately, depends on where you might need to use it and when. Inland - PLB only. Fiji on a weekend, Nautilus only because the local Navy is off weekends. :eek:

One guy on this thread who got left once does not dive without both! http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...escued-after-drifting-16-hours-near-bali.html

Oh there is Peter69_56. I remember reading elsewhere about your leak problem. So it was a PVC canister huh? I wondered if such would work?

In my opinion, its not that its PVC I think I suspect its more maybe the thickness around the seal area or maybe bad machining or loose tolerances. Anyway I would be much happier with the aluminium one over my current one. I want a product I am confident in. No good opening it up in anger and finding it flooded and dead.

Oh and I use both nautilus and PLB

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Kevrumbo
O-rings replacement info for the McMurdo Aluminum Dive Canister: 2mm Cross-Section (cs) by 82mm Inner-Diameter (id); and 3mm cs by 78mm id.
http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/downl...et.pdf?did=371

Metric O-rings - Buna-N - Nitrile - Viton - FKM - All Orings Online
Thanks, Kev. So does the canister use one of each of the two sizes? Which ones does one want to order from that source?

Don, you need both O-rings to replace as a set: one is a "face/flange" function type in a groove on the inside of the canister, while the other is a "barrel" function type that goes around the circumference of the canister and is mounted in a groove above the screw threads.

I've had my Fastfind Plus/Aluminum Dive Canister combination now for six years with no signs of leaks --but the O-rings are the original and WAY OVERDUE for replacement. . .

quote_icon.png
Don, you need both O-rings to replace as a set: one is a "face/flange" function type in a groove on the inside of the canister, while the other is a "barrel" function type that goes around the circumference of the canister and is mounted in a groove above the screw threads.

I've had my Fastfind Plus/Aluminum Dive Canister combination now for six years with no signs of leaks --but the O-rings are the original and WAY OVERDUE for replacement. . .
Can you tell from the site you linked exactly which to order?

Hang on a moment Don. How much crap do you have clipped to your belt?

I count 1 O2 analyzer, a pair of CO analyzers, a PLB, blackberry, TI calculator, a couple of Walkie talkies, likely a big $ss fishing knife or two and a couple of other gadgets.

With all this weight, how do you even move?

Ok, cool - wasn't sure which you'd like. Hope the shipping is reasonable.

Hang on a moment Don. How much crap do you have clipped to your belt?

I count 1 O2 analyzer, a pair of CO analyzers, a PLB, blackberry, TI calculator, a couple of Walkie talkies, likely a big $ss fishing knife or two and a couple of other gadgets.

With all this weight, how do you even move?
I carry a lot, but I can make it to the boat in one trip. :cool: I did let the crew keep my BC, fins, and pony & bag to rinse and bring back the next day, but took my regs, masks, and everything else to my room. I also carried a hooded rain jacket everyday as it rain a lot last week.

I tested every tank for O2 and CO, but no phone, no calculator, no radios, no knife. I slung the pony on my left side, the canister on my right, and always made sure they were hanging off the boat before backrolling so I wouldn't end up caught upside down on the boat. :eek:

Oh I carry a camera and strobe and hold it when I roll back, with my other hand my my mask as the strap always comes loose. :wink:

Don, do you know if any of the more expensive ACR models, like the SARLink offer benefits that are worth considering? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I don't know one thing about PLBs. Thanks

Don, do you know if any of the more expensive ACR models, like the SARLink offer benefits that are worth considering? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I don't know one thing about PLBs. Thanks
No, I wouldn't call that a stupid question at all. Very worthy, actually - but difficult to answer. Their product comparison page really sucks, doesn't even tell which units float - which is important to me if I were to find myself fumbling with a water emergency inland or at sea (Personal Locator Beacon Comparison Chart | ACR ARTEX), and when I called them to ask that they explain what I wasn't understanding - they were marginally helpful, IMO. They did point out that some units have a digital display: "In an emergency, the high-visibility screen provides automatic prompts for optimizing the beacon and confirms critical data such as your exact GPS coordinates, data bursts and remaining battery power. Additional functionality allows the user to test and view GPS coordinates multiple times with minimal impact on useful battery life."

The 2880 & 2881 are very similar, but the 2881 is 0.6" taller, 8oz heavier, and floats!

The 2882-5 are taller, wider, fatter and weigh twice as much - 4 or 5oz is all, but riding in my car console or pants pocket - noticeable. They may all fit inside the McMurdo dive canisters ok; looks like the would? They do broadcast at 6.3 watts instead of 5, but I don't know of any complaints on the smaller models failing to connect. Some of them are rated to work for 35 hours, 5 hours longer than others. Some have attachment clips and others belt clips, whatever that means. None are approved in Australia for some reason, while the two smaller ones are. Two of those (2884 & 2885) have digital readouts and are named "View" models. Ok, 2882 & 2884, named Aqualinks, do float but that's not on the comparison page; you have to read closely on the respective products descriptions one by one: Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) | ACR ARTEX

Great products, but I think they need help with their online presentations! :silly: I guess they offer enough choices for individual opinions, once you got thru them a few times. I think the 2881 is the best choice for size, weight, price, utility, buoyant - great for any outdoors person, any outside sport, but you can't go wrong on one of the other models that float. (Nothing works in a cave I don't guess, but that's not outdoors/outside to me.)

Last edited:
Very informative... I've been diving with a pair of SCUBA signal flares every since a dive incident over 15 years ago. I've been contemplating a PLB so thanks for this posing. I'm considering the McMurdo Smartfind S10 and would appreciate your thoughts. McMurdo S10 Smartfind Personal AIS Beacon - Star Marine Depot It's a lower wattage unit but I like how it's compact, floats, fairly well priced, and doesn't require a separate underwater container. TIA.

Very informative... I've been diving with a pair of SCUBA signal flares every since a dive incident over 15 years ago. I've been contemplating a PLB so thanks for this posing. I'm considering the McMurdo Smartfind S10 and would appreciate your thoughts. McMurdo S10 Smartfind Personal AIS Beacon - Star Marine Depot It's a lower wattage unit but I like how it's compact, floats, fairly well priced, and doesn't require a separate underwater container. TIA.
Much too limited to appeal to me, but it might work for you. With only a 4 mile range to AIS enabled equipment, it might work well in some areas with monitors close enough - depends on who might be monitoring.

I'd like to see a PLB in every car that leaves town, but I suppose most will continue to hope for cell phone coverage.

Back
Top Bottom