Atomic Aquatics and Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billster

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to upgrade my regulator setup. It's currently a ScubaPro MK18/G250 combination.

I'd like to go for the Atomic Aquatics B2. I downloaded their PDF manual, which is for the older B1. One big warning label worried me. It says that at time of purchase you must decide whether the reg is for nitrox or air, and stick that way forever.

I don't always have available or need nitrox, and I don't want to carry around 2 regs. I assume this restriction is due to the use of titanium.

Is this a realistic warning, or lawyerism? Can I use a B1 1st stage (non titanium) + B2 second stage (some titanium) in mixed nitrox/air usage (32% nitrox)?

"Lawyerism" is always involved.

billster:
I'm getting ready to upgrade my regulator setup. It's currently a ScubaPro MK18/G250 combination.

I'd like to go for the Atomic Aquatics B2. I downloaded their PDF manual, which is for the older B1. One big warning label worried me. It says that at time of purchase you must decide whether the reg is for nitrox or air, and stick that way forever.

I don't always have available or need nitrox, and I don't want to carry around 2 regs. I assume this restriction is due to the use of titanium.

Is this a realistic warning, or lawyerism? Can I use a B1 1st stage (non titanium) + B2 second stage (some titanium) in mixed nitrox/air usage (32% nitrox)?

The reason that they tell you to decide on one or the other and stick to it is this; if you are running nitrox through your equipment you are boosting the O2 content (you already know this) the air used to blend Nitrox is a higher grade air which means it is filtered more, has no hydrocarbons or moisture in it, if you hook those regulators up to an air tank (21%) depending on where that tank was filled you could be introducing hydrocarbons into your regulator setup. If the shop you get your tanks from only sells compressed air, then chances are that their air compressor is ran with normal oils lubricating it, and no matter the filtration set up they have it is introducing some level of hydrocarbons, if they either blend, bank, or partial blend then their air compressor is set up on synthetic oils. The importance of air quality matters alot because of fire hazards. Long story short; if the shop that does your airfills blends EANX, then it is safe to use their air in your nitrox regs, if not then dont. And the regs you are looking at are compatible for upto 40% nitrox out of the box.

sorry for the long response.

I have the Atomic B2. (Great reg by the way!!!!). I was told by my LDS the concern with the Nitrox and regular air is when the O2% is above 40%, not between 21% and 40%. I love my B2.

DMDC01:
if you are running nitrox through your equipment you are boosting the O2 content (you already know this) the air used to blend Nitrox is a higher grade air which means it is filtered more, has no hydrocarbons or moisture in it, if you hook those regulators up to an air tank (21%) depending on where that tank was filled you could be introducing hydrocarbons into your regulator setup.
If you go to the same place to fill more often than not, and they do nitrox, chances are that the air they have is already clean enough.
DMDC01:
If the shop you get your tanks from only sells compressed air, then chances are that their air compressor is ran with normal oils lubricating it, and no matter the filtration set up they have it is introducing some level of hydrocarbons, if they either blend, bank, or partial blend then their air compressor is set up on synthetic oils. .
Just because a fill station does not have nitrox available, doesn't mean that the air is not clean.

DMDC01:
if the shop that does your airfills blends EANX, then it is safe to use their air in your nitrox regs, if not then dont.
Not true. I have serviced tanks that have been filled at more air stations than nitrox stations and the still passfor nitrox clean. But I would definetely say that you should be careful of where you get your fills whenrunning nitrox.

I've used my B1 T2 with Nitrox and never had a problem. I would stay below 40% to be safe. I usually dive air but have switched back and forth.

Scott

billster:

I am sure you looked at the M1, excellent reviews www.divernet.com (British Publication), rock solid and EAN up to 80%. What was you deciding factor to go with the B2?

Incidently, I've been diving my B1 (upgraded w/swivel & M1 exhaust T, which I would recommend you do as well) and you have to pry my dead cold hands off of it to give it up.

The review was very useful, thanks!

The choice for B2 over M1 was only based on B2 being a newer generation. I will look at the M1 as well.

It will also definitely be a long time before I'm using 80% nitrox.

A.G.Pennypacker:
I am sure you looked at the M1, excellent reviews www.divernet.com (British Publication), rock solid and EAN up to 80%. What was you deciding factor to go with the B2?

Incidently, I've been diving my B1 (upgraded w/swivel & M1 exhaust T, which I would recommend you do as well) and you have to pry my dead cold hands off of it to give it up.

Thanks for the confirmation. From all I'm reading here, it looks like I'm safe as long as I don't get crappy air fills. Since only the 2nd stage has any titanium, and at lowered pressure, I can go for it.

Scottri:
I've used my B1 T2 with Nitrox and never had a problem. I would stay below 40% to be safe. I usually dive air but have switched back and forth.

Scott

IMHO, it's dive shop monkeyism and you can use it for whatever you like. The only issue, IMO, is the T1 or whatever they are calling it now since titanium and oxygen do not play nicely together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom