Atomic Aquatics and Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to think that my b2 cannot take nitrox as well, so I got nitrox certified w/ my old Titan (good reg, but it's mechanical breath.... not very good when u wanna dive deep and get narc); then I ended up calling atomic and asked them about my b2. Atomic told me that it's ok to run nitrox through the reg, but I have to make sure that after every use of nitrox I need to run air through the reg..... so the nitrox won't stay in the reg and cause corrosion. I think the M1, being built to be resistant towards anything, does not have such concern. The M1's drawback (supposedly) is that it doesn't have any titanium parts so it's not as resistant over time, and it doesn't breath AS good as Bs or Ts.

Based on what I heard here, the reviews referenced, and the recommendation of the LDS, I went with the M1, and purchased the 2nd stage swivel from the B2.

The Monel alloy in the M1 is well suited to switching back & forth between nitrox & air fills.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

billster:
I'm getting ready to upgrade my regulator setup. It's currently a ScubaPro MK18/G250 combination.

I'd like to go for the Atomic Aquatics B2. I downloaded their PDF manual, which is for the older B1. One big warning label worried me. It says that at time of purchase you must decide whether the reg is for nitrox or air, and stick that way forever.

I don't always have available or need nitrox, and I don't want to carry around 2 regs. I assume this restriction is due to the use of titanium.

Is this a realistic warning, or lawyerism? Can I use a B1 1st stage (non titanium) + B2 second stage (some titanium) in mixed nitrox/air usage (32% nitrox)?

I’ve been looking at the M1 ‘cause I’m planning on doing some advanced dive training, including deco stops using high percentage O2. The M1 S&M (Sales & Marketing) color glossies say the M1 is cool up to 80% IF and ONLY IF it is dedicated to O2 service. So, if you’re going to run air thru it, forget about going over the “Standard” 40%.

According to the manual, it's good to 50% interchangeable between nitrox and air. Only above 50% nitrox do you need to do special preparation.

I'll be trying it a week+ from now diving the California Coronado Islands, prior to a Belize liveaboard in June.

orakevin:
I’ve been looking at the M1 ‘cause I’m planning on doing some advanced dive training, including deco stops using high percentage O2. The M1 S&M (Sales & Marketing) color glossies say the M1 is cool up to 80% IF and ONLY IF it is dedicated to O2 service. So, if you’re going to run air thru it, forget about going over the “Standard” 40%.

DementialFaith:
then I ended up calling atomic and asked them about my b2. Atomic told me that it's ok to run nitrox through the reg, but I have to make sure that after every use of nitrox I need to run air through the reg..... so the nitrox won't stay in the reg and cause corrosion.

IMO, this is total BS. It's not even in the manual.
The only Ti in the B2 is in the second stage, and the only part that contacts what's inside the hose is the orifice and a little of the second stage valve body. And then the second stage isn't sealed when the reg is unpressurized, so any higher O2 percentage will equalize with the outside within a relatively short time period. This is assuming that up to 40% O2 at atmospheric pressure is detrimental to Ti, which I highly doubt.

Back
Top Bottom