Atomic Aquatics "Liquid Blue" for frog-kicks and better thrust in strong currents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeoh Chee Weng:
Hi fellow divers,

Thanks again, I'll follow Scott's advice and go ahead to buy the Atomic split-fins. Unfortunately, here in Malaysia no shops will let you try any gear before you buy, once you leave the shop there is no refund. So far I've only seen one diver use split-fins, they are not popular in this region - mainly because of the price - much higher than paddle fins. I'll be impatient to try out all your suggestions on how to use the splits for frog-kicking and reverse motion. Sigh - next trip is a long month ahead. If I can't it right I know the best place to ask.

And reliability is a strong plus. Buy the Jets.

I just don't get the Regular Atomics. (?) Iv'e used them before and they feel stiffer than Jets. They are as stiff as any paddle fin I have used. Why not just get Jets? Or Quatros?

CALI68:
I just don't get the Regular Atomics? Iv'e used them before and they feel stiffer than Jets. Why not just get Jets? Or Quatros?

Basically I fell for the marketing. I'd spent quite a few years away from the water, and couldn't believe all the new toys.
When I was active before you really had no choice in fins.

Funny...what was best then has'nt changed at all.

I realize everyone has their own preference. If you love Atomics I can get you a pair in reasonably good condition cheap!
:D

CALI68:
I just don't get the Regular Atomics. (?) Iv'e used them before and they feel stiffer than Jets.

That's very interesting, because I find that the Jets are a lot stiffer. I used to use a US Divers Rocket clone for 8 years, then the Atomics for 3 years, then the Jets for 6 months.

The blades of the Atomics are indeed stiffer than the Jets, but when you swim with them, the split makes the resistance less than when swimming with the Jets. (and faster, too, if powering the fins)

I did switch to mostly using the Jet fins over the Atomics, but that's because I like the ability to do great reverse kicks, etc. with them.

paulwlee:
That's very interesting, because I find that the Jets are a lot stiffer. I used to use a US Divers Rocket clone for 8 years, then the Atomics for 3 years, then the Jets for 6 months.

The blades of the Atomics are indeed stiffer than the Jets, but when you swim with them, the split makes the resistance less than when swimming with the Jets. (and faster, too, if powering the fins)

I did switch to mostly using the Jet fins over the Atomics, but that's because I like the ability to do great reverse kicks, etc. with them.

Interesting. This is what I notice: The Atomics felt so stiff that I felt like I wasn't moving the blade at all. I'd look back and see that they were definately moving and bent and in full effect. Werid! My hat is off to anyone who can get a frog kick going with those...man that was tough! To me I just thought why not have paddle fins? If I have sore knees or any leg issues then I'll go for my Oceanic V12's. Now those are loose! Those are good split fins for the whole "not-knowing-your-wearing-fins-at-all" thing! The Oceanics are the same as the Bio Fins but a tad heavier.

Back
Top Bottom