Atomic B2 or Scubapro Mk25/A700 Owners: Pro / Cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landau

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the market for a new reg and considering an Atomic B2 or Scubapro mK25/A700. What do you love or hate about yours? Or mildly like or dislike?

My current reg has lots of delicate plastic parts, a few of which have broken, so I'm particularly interested in durability.

Also do you use the central lp port on the turret for your primary reg? Is routing the other hoses convienient when doing that? I'm thinking it would help point my AI transmitter in direction where it doesn't look like the tank valve and invite "Helpful" individuals to ensure it is "open". I dive a back inflate BCD with a regular primary/octo setup.

I work part time at a shop with a generous employee discount and they only carry Scubapro and Huish brands so I am not considering Aqualung/APEC/Deep6/DGX etc. No need to suggest these instead.

Thanks!

Of those two I would go B2 but nothing wrong with the SP except the A700. What have you got now that you consider delicate?

the Zeagle F8 is my choice of the Huish brands.

I don’t use or need the bottom port or swivel.

nothing wrong with the SP except the A700

What's the issue with the A700?

What have you got now that you consider delicate?
Mares Instinct - exhaust port covers easily come detached, diaphragm cover secured by a pin that can and has worked its way out

Scubapro is under Johnson Outdoors, not Huish.

The A700, some think a little heavy in the water and I do not like the screws in the four ears. Many divers do like the A700 and I would not turn one down.

The pins to locate the diaphragm cover is common and the Scubapro G series and some R series use the pins. Most people remove the pins and toss them in the junk drawer. I have never seen a cover come off except by purpose.

I am going to say that the toughest second stage on the market might be the G260. It, like the prior G250, has a 30% glass fiber content, graphite infused polyamide case that is tough as nails and has enough flex to take a hit without cracking. Including on my trip just ending, a tank fell full force on my beautiful G250 hitting hard enough to pop the cover off. I thought for sure it would be cracked. Nope, not even a scratch. Screwed the cover back on and made another dozen or so dives before the trip ended. Close inspection now that I am home shows the regulator to be 100% ready to go to Cozumel in a few weeks :).

The Atomics, I do not like the AFC and I do not like the soft covers and I am not sure what the case is. The G260 has a conventional hard cover and button and the large diaphragm and the resulting case make it light as a feather in the water. I admit bias and would certainly consider an Atomic product.

I do not use the "bottom" port on the turret except for twin set ups. But you can and when doing so turn the regulator such that the turret and top port point downward to your right side. I do not like this routing for single tank because it puts my inflator hose at an odd angle but others have a different view on that :wink:.

What's the issue with the A700?

Mares Instinct - exhaust port covers easily come detached, diaphragm cover secured by a pin that can and has worked its way out
The A700 is not something that interests me, I don’t care for the screws and ability to dent. I prefer sealed first stages.

nemrod covered it pretty well.

Also do you use the central lp port on the turret for your primary reg?
Yep, doing so is especially useful with primary donate setups since they have a longer hose.
image.png

Atomic B2 or Scubapro mK25/A700.

It will be very difficult to say one is better than the other since both are great performers and very durable regs.

My friends who are big time tech instructors in the Mediterranean region have been using the mk25/a700 for years and love it and don't have any complaints about it at all. I have asked them about this regulator specifically, the a700, and this was their response.

I have been using Atomic regulators, including a sealed B2, since circa 1997 and I believe that they are the best out there. I have been using the MK19/g260 for over a year now. I switch back and forth with the Atomic ST1. I believe that the Atomic is a better breather for certain. The Atomic can also go longer between servicing without any issues. At the end, I prefer the Atomic reg. over the SP but you can't go wrong with either.

I know, it isn't an easy choice but I'd go with the B2 with sealed first stage myself.

hmm, I think both are good choice. so it really come down to your preference. I have AA, and SP25/G250V. I like them both. If I have to pick one for ease of breathing, I will say mk25/G250V edge out AA. Now if you present AA and SP25/A700 choices to me, I will take SP25/A700 just because I don't have A700, I want to own one and try it more extensively

I'm in the market for a new reg and considering an Atomic B2 or Scubapro mK25/A700. What do you love or hate about yours? Or mildly like or dislike?

My current reg has lots of delicate plastic parts, a few of which have broken, so I'm particularly interested in durability.

Also do you use the central lp port on the turret for your primary reg? Is routing the other hoses convienient when doing that? I'm thinking it would help point my AI transmitter in direction where it doesn't look like the tank valve and invite "Helpful" individuals to ensure it is "open". I dive a back inflate BCD with a regular primary/octo setup.

I work part time at a shop with a generous employee discount and they only carry Scubapro and Huish brands so I am not considering Aqualung/APEC/Deep6/DGX etc. No need to suggest these instead.

Thanks!
I am still using my MK5/109 purchased in 1977 and continiously updated with newer parts.
Nothing surpasses Scubapro in durability and long-term serviceability.
But wanting something more modern, I would choose a MK10 with SPEC boot and sealed and a pair of G250V.
And the DIN conversion kit, of course.

Like the A700 as much as I like the S620 which is very little. Meh🤷‍♂️

Not helpful post without some clarification, the A700 wasn't mine so no idea how well it was tuned but I found it loud and coarse, ditto the S620 which FWIW I tuned. I would not classify either as "smooth" and I do like smooth.

(C370😁)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom