Atomic Cobalt 2 vs Suunto Eon Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your two choices are both high dollar computers which have capabilities well beyond the needs of a beginning diver. They are both great computers and they both run a version of RGBM algorithm. For the amount of money you are apparently willing to spend, almost any computer is in your price range. Most computer manufacturers have at least one computer with an OLED screen so you could choose models from Oceanic, ScubaPro, etc. You could go to the technical computers such as Shearwater (my favorite), the Liquivision line, Sea Bear, etc.

What you haven't posted is where you want your dive path to lead. Since you are not certified yet, the decision on a dive computer should wait until you have completed your OWD course. You will know a lot more about diving in general after that. More importantly, you will know your own response to diving. I have had students who really wanted to dive, but found during the course that they were not willing to put in the mental and physical effort to do it. I am not saying you will be one of those, but at this point you do not know what your needs are. The basic advice I give any new diver regarding equipment purchases is simple:
  1. Buy the best gear you can afford.
  2. Buy gear that is proven to work well. Don't buy the latest fad.
  3. Don't buy a lot of gadgets; especially the stuff hanging on the rack next to the cash register! A lot of this, while potentially useful in a few situations, just complicates the dive.
  4. Try to match the gear to both your present and future needs. This is especially important with computers.
  5. Remember that the gear you buy initially won't be your gear forever.
  6. Most importantly, ask your instructor or someone you trust about the pros and cons of any equipment you buy. There are precious few bits of gear that do everything well. Sometimes you have to make trade offs.
Good luck on your diving!

As a new diver, all you really need is a basic computer that has EAN ( nitrox) capability.

The biggest decision is whether you want a console or wrist mount. Do you want a watch size or bigger.

By the time your diving gets to the point where you need the functions of a high end computer, you'll have invested so much money in other gear that the price of a new computer will be insignificant.

Also there is no point buying something now if you won't need its functions for a few years, technology changes...

All that said, I'm an Eon user and love it, but I dive a lot (159 dives this year so far) and use multiple gases etc so get the full use of its functions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom