Atomic Cobalt or Mares Icon HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icon Hd Net Ready with the color display is very easy to use and see. Have used early models and have used models from early 2012. Wow what a lot of improvements. Better Graphics. Better Software, easy to update. Uses Batteries like the Iphone. It has a High def bright screen on full time during dive. If you are using easy to charge and the battery lasts a long time. I would never go back to Mono screen. And the Maps are great to use. The compass is slick. The bugs I think have all been worked through and Mares always looks after bugs effortlessly.

Between the two, the Cobalt. Better customer service and support, better designed computer in terms of both software and hardware, and able to handle a greater range of diving including planned decompression diving well past 130'. The Cobalt's only limitations are (1) its console form, (2) its inability to handle trimix (could be fixed by a firmware release but AA has no plans to do so), and (3) its UI design choices to limit configurability on the fly during a dive (good for newer divers, a liability for those who might need the flexibility on a dive where bailing to the surface isn't an option).

But if you don't like consoles, then there are better options than either the Cobalt or the Mares. My wife still dives my Cobalt, while I've moved on to a Shearwater Petrel because I prefer a wrist mount and use an SPG rather than the unncessary transmitter/AI computer combo. The easy of use and simplicity of the Petrel are almost as good as the Cobalt and are going to be a lot better than the Mares. If you want to save some $$, you can scoop up a basic Shearwater Predator running OC only mode in great condition for $700 or less...though I'd say get the $950 Petrel and be happier with its size and battery options.

Back
Top Bottom