Atomic regs/gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tumbler31

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m shopping for a new, pretty snandard everyday regulator and was getting sold on the Atomics from a local dive shop. The sales person explained to me that the Atomic founders split away from a large manufacturer a long time ago and basically created a brand that is run by tech geeks and is wholly focused on making the best gear. A quick Google search of best regulators shows many of the typical brands, but Atomic does not come up very often. Do they create top-of-the-line equipment?

Do they create top-of-the-line equipment?

Yes, best machining, best manufacturing process, best materials and they spare no effort to bring out what they believe is best. Their least expensive regulator performs just the same as their most expensive one but different material for better resiliency (their new second stage that just came out is a different story, better performance). Their Z2 regulator is a great value. I have almost every model they make. My oldest Atomic regulator is a B2 that's about 25 years old (started as a B1 but upgraded parts to become a B2). Atomic regulators are most reliable regulators I have ever had with best performance. Their regulators are also manufactured in the US.

High quality regulators for sure, before Atomic there was no “best” but deep down you want the best which is scubapro :wink: or that’s marketing hype.

for other than regulator gear I think SP beats atomic by a lot in verity and choices, so maybe be more specific.

for other than regulator gear I think SP beats atomic by a lot in verity and choices, so maybe be more specific.

I believe that he was asking about regulators specifically per his post.

Regulators are first class. Their masks are good, too.

Great regs. Love diving with mine. The only issue is that they should be rinsed under pressure. When boat diving, I go with the same dive ops and they all know to let me rinse my own gear, but you probably don't want them throwing your reg into the rinse bucket. I soak mine at home under pressure with a pony.

Atomic makes good stuff. I used to own an M1. But there is no "best" as the best depends on the individuals criteria. Claims for the best are pure BS. The reality is, the top name companies all make great regs that excel in different ways (hence no best), and regardless of what you buy, you will most likely be very happy.

I’m shopping for a new, pretty snandard everyday regulator and was getting sold on the Atomics from a local dive shop. The sales person explained to me that the Atomic founders split away from a large manufacturer a long time ago and basically created a brand that is run by tech geeks and is wholly focused on making the best gear. A quick Google search of best regulators shows many of the typical brands, but Atomic does not come up very often. Do they create top-of-the-line equipment?
Atomic was indeed started by two former SP engineers. Those two engineers were responsible for many of the iconic and innovative SP regulators.

Atomic definitely makes high quality gear. Some of it is pretty expensive, but not all. Before the introduction of the Atomic TFX, it was often stated (by Atomic) that each of their regulators breathed the same. The difference was in the materials that they were made of. You'll pay a lot for Titanium, but can get excellent gear for way less in other materials.

Atomic is now owned by Huish, but IIRC, Huish kept the Atomic manufacturing facility intact. They moved manufacturing of one of their other brands into the Atomic location as well.

Like others have said Atomic makes great regs. The base design has not changed since day one. Which is great because as BoltSnap mentioned one can take "1" series reg B1, Z1 and overhaul and update it into a B2, Z2/3 respectively. I have done that multiple times. I have early Ti versions that are now T1x plus.

A shameless plug, I have a couple of AA regs on my bench that I need to overhauled and update. I think they are from the B series. I usually do that and post them up on da board for sale. Been doing it for about 10 years. So if you want to save a bit send a PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom