Question Atomic ST1 Water Leakage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkandls

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone out there had water leakage into there second stage while breathing ? If so, how bad, do you know what caused it, any info would be helpful.
And yes, I am currently working with Atomic about this, just want to know if this is a common issue or not. It has happen to both my wife's & mine in the last year.
Both are regs are 2 years old. thx

Have you had them serviced?
All regulators will let some water in. Also, due to case geometry, some second stages are better at scavenging water that's present inside. But, I've found Atomics to breathe pretty dry.

Have you had them serviced?
Happing now as they are a 2 yr service interval. But we had issues on a recent trip w/ both regs. Kind odd to happen to both.

I have two ST1's and have never had an issue of any kind with them

Test; remove the hose, inhale slightly, does it hold that vacuum? If no, 1. look carefully at the mouth piece, 2. Look carefully at the exhaust diaphragm, 3. Remove the front cover and check for proper seating of the main diaphragm, 4. Have the AFC diaphragm checked.

if yes, its something else.

Happing now as they are a 2 yr service interval. But we had issues on a recent trip w/ both regs. Kind odd to happen to both.
Did you have any unusual diving positions, like looking straight up a lot? Most regulators will breathe dry in standard trim because any water will pool up at the bottom and exit when you exhaust. If you're on your back the water will happily flow down your mouthpiece. I find the more you dive the more attuned you become about these kinds of things.
When you do lexvil's intake test make sure you block the lp supply port with your fingertip.

Test; remove the hose, inhale slightly, does it hold that vacuum? If no, 1. look carefully at the mouth piece, 2. Look carefully at the exhaust diaphragm, 3. Remove the front cover and check for proper seating of the main diaphragm, 4. Have the AFC diaphragm checked.

if yes, its something else.
done all that. it holds & mouthpiece is new

Did you have any unusual diving positions, like looking straight up a lot? Most regulators will breathe dry in standard trim because any water will pool up at the bottom and exit when you exhaust. If you're on your back the water will happily flow down your mouthpiece. I find the more you dive the more attuned you become about these kinds of things.
When you do lexvil's intake test make sure you block the lp supply port with your fingertip.
Strangely on a 2 week trip, the first week was fine in all positions, but towards the last few days on 2nd week is when it started leaking in, at first when I was inverted or close to inverted, then just horizontal.

done all that. it holds & mouthpiece is new
From where did you remove the hose? Dot you have the comfort swivel on it?

im assuming that even if you have the swivel on the primary you don’t on the safe second.

bottom line is if it holds the vacuume it isn’t the reg and more likely something in the way you’re diving it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom