Atomic Z2 vs. Oceanic Delta IV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awshay

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Following up on the recent post regarding the Atomic Z2, I'm having trouble deciding between the Z2 and the Oceanic Delta IV. I realize both are strong regs and the cost are relatively comparable, although the Z2 is a bit more expensive. I'm intending this reg to be my primary reg for both recreational and techical diving. I would appreciate any insights you may have regarding these regs and what might set one apart from the other. Thanks.

Following up on the recent post regarding the Atomic Z2, I'm having trouble deciding between the Z2 and the Oceanic Delta IV. I realize both are strong regs and the cost are relatively comparable, although the Z2 is a bit more expensive. I'm intending this reg to be my primary reg for both recreational and technical diving. I would appreciate any insights you may have regarding these regs and what might set one apart from the other. Thanks.

I own two Atomic B2 regulators and have had no problems with them whatsoever. The regulator breathes the same at 105 feet as it does at 20 feet.

The LDS where I bought them has had no problems whatsoever from any customer whose has purchased an Atomic regulator.

The LDS also sells the Oceanic Delta IV but I can't give you any comparisons since I have never owned a Delta IV.

Except for vacation diving in warm water climates such as the Caribbean, Hawaii etc. all my diving is in quarries and in the Atlantic ocean off the cost of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

The water can get relatively cold. The coldest I have been with the Atomic regulator is 47o F. I have has no problems whatsoever with the regulator at these temperatures.

I've had both Atomic B2s and Oceanic Delta IVs. I sold the Atomics, I like the Delta IVs better. They're both great regs.

My Atomics were not environmentally sealed from the factory, but I had it done by the LDS. The Oceanics are enviro-sealed from the factory. This will be pretty important to you if you're going to be in cold water.

The DVT in the Oceanic FDX-10 first stage is great. If you've ever forgotten to replace your dust cap before rinsing your reg, you'll appreciate that you don't need to worry about it with the FDX-10. The design keeps water out of the first stage.

The rig I wear when I DM has a Delta IV primary and a Delta IV for the octo.
My travel rig has a Delta IV and no octo -- I have one on my BCD inflator.

Everybody that I have let borrow my Delta IVs has ended up buying their own. That never happened when I lent folks my B2s.

You'll like either reg, but I think you'll like the Delta IV better.

My Delta IV has been flawless for 2 years (100 dives). Not a single problem, not a single free-flow.
Atomic is also a great reg. You won't go wrong either way.

I bought Atomic Z2 after I read the reviews calling the Atomic Regulators the "sweetest breathers" and stating that they all breathed the same. I immediately noticed better performance than the Mares I had been certified with.

A couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to try the new Oceanic HUD computer mask. I was asked to used the Delta 4 reg. I was happy to get the opportunity to see how the Oceanic top of the line would compare to my Z2. After two dives with the Oceanic, I wanted to go back to the Atomic.

P.S. I liked the mask!

Definitely the Atomics,
I have used both and taught separate classes that used these as school regs. I had more problems out of the Oceanics, and I like breathing out of the atomics better.

But I would get them factory enviro sealed. I wouldn't have a reg that wasn't sealed.

If the OP is not diving in very cold water, it's not a requirement.
I prefer my regs non-sealed as it's easier to open up and clean, and actually had my M1's unsealed for this reason. Never had a problem with any of my Atomics.
Of course, for people who won't mess with the insides of the first stage this won't be an consideration.

If the OP is not diving in very cold water, it's not a requirement.
I prefer my regs non-sealed as it's easier to open up and clean, and actually had my M1's unsealed for this reason. Never had a problem with any of my Atomics.
Of course, for people who won't mess with the insides of the first stage this won't be an consideration.
If they are sealed you shouldn't have to clean the inside of them. That's part of the reason to have them sealed.
You're right, most people shouldn't be messing with the inside of their reg anyway.

If they are sealed you shouldn't have to clean the inside of them. That's part of the reason to have them sealed.
You're right, most people shouldn't be messing with the inside of their reg anyway.

Well, I'm only doing this maybe once every two years or so. The seats and o-rings are lasting a long time, and a quick clean of the brass parts in an ultrasonic cleaner makes the regulator good as new.

It's true that a sealed regulator will have less performance degradation over time making the need to clean and adjust even less, but since it's probably a good idea to check up on things anyway at least with that kind of interval, I don't need to buy more time. (I'd be a little worried about salt water being trapped in the chamber as the Christolube squeezes out if used without service for much more than two years, maybe without ground, I don't know.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom