Attaching heel straps/bungies/springs to fins without them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw them when they were listed a few weeks ago and passed. If you are looking for a set to dive with, then this is not them! "These are not the fins you are looking for!" (Did you see what I did there? You know "FORCE" fins?)
Anyway, I probably have purchased 15 pairs over the years.
Always buy PRO model for diving as the basic FF is too flexible.
You should be able to pick up a decent pair for around $80 plus shipping (if you are very patient). Keep in mind, that the comfort inserts are a great addition and retail for at least $40, so adjust price accordingly. Also, it isn't worth $20-30 to quibble over price if you have a more urgent need.

It looks to me like that's a pair that came out of the mold (321 is likely the mold number) and was rejected on the spot so was never finished. It might be interesting to a collector, but has no value to a diver.

That, unfortunately, makes a whole lot of sense.

Like many others here have said, I guess I just have to be patient.

For barefoot use for snorkeling in the pool in theory my size 12 feet should work with ML, which I just ordered a nice pair of for around $80 including shipping, and they are returnable.

I emailed with the company and they suggested against the pros, I'm not sure if it was because I wanted to also use them for normal surface swimming or because I mentioned my ankles and knees were prone to issues.

So hopefully the MLs will fit, and I'll like them, and the then I'll start stalking some XXLs again, for use with 8mm hard soled diving boots. Recently those have only been on for around $150 hence my interest in the somewhat sketchy pair.

And perhaps since I'd be getting two pairs I'll open my heart to the possibility of pros for the XXLs :)

Thanks so much everyone - and Bob, if you ever read this, sorry I'm not currently wealthy enough to buy new equipment - Danny

I love my ForceFins for warm water SCUBA, but have found them pretty useless for surface swimming. They have no thrust on up-kick.
I wear a size 9 shoe and a FF ML with Comfort Insteps and barefoot.

I love my ForceFins for warm water SCUBA, but have found them pretty useless for surface swimming. They have no thrust on up-kick.
I wear a size 9 shoe and a FF ML with Comfort Insteps and barefoot.
Completely useless for snorkeling too. Best used underwater!

Are they useless for surface swimming even if your objective isn't to go fast but instead to get used to them for SCUBA use and build the muscles they use?

FYI started a thread wrt the exiatance of any fins that work okay for both swimming and diving here:

Thread 'Fins that work okay for scuba and surface / snorkel swimming?'

Are they useless for surface swimming even if your objective isn't to go fast but instead to get used to them for SCUBA use and build the muscles they use?
Are you swimming in a pool? Push off and swim as far as you can underwater. Once you surface, roll over and kick while on your back. If you catch your breath before you get to the end, roll back over and finish underwater.

You only need to be a couple of feet deep, just enough that the fins don't break the surface when kicking.

On the down-kick the fins form a pocket and propel a lot of water. On the up-kick the convex surface slips through the water with little effect. When surface swimming with the FFs I slap the surface a lot on the down-kick. The powerful down-kick and the effortless recovery up-kick is what makes the FFs so great submerged. On the surface they can't get purchase (unless swimming on your back as lowwall mentions). Muscles really have nothing to do with the situation. Underwater the FFs are easygoing.
I think most straight bladed fins are good for snorkeling. I've never had problems except with the FFs.

There is a flaw in your reasoning. Force Fins are COMPLETELY different than all others. They utilize the muscles that you are already using.

If I need to move any distance on the surface, I do it face up on my back which puts my fins deeper into the water.

Back
Top Bottom