Attack of the Killer Canadians

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispos

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Florida divers, I would like to relocate to your wonderful State!!!
Can you help me out in deciding where to look for a house in FLA?

Where should I move to? Gulf Coast or Atlantic Coast, North, Central or South, Big City or Resort Town?

My criteria:

I'm an ocean diver, not a cave diver
I like to spearfish
I am a self-employed stock trader
I am social, so I wouldn't be happy in a small town
Looking to spend about $160-180K on a house or condo
I worked in Sarasota in 1981 loved it.
I've been to the Keys, but I can't afford'em I think
Want to buy a boat or get in with some fun people with a boat

OK, so far I am looking in Ft. Myers, Naples area. Thanks anybody!

I suggest you come down for a couple of weeks before you pack up the U-Haul... Last week in July, First week of August are good times to try it...

Make sure you are able to breathe during our summers.

Me personally, I go to northern Maine during those times... Nice 70's during the day, 50's at night.. And I figure it's an even trade to deal with a few black flies instead of the monster mosquitos, yellow flies and horse flies.

Just my $.02

When I retire, I'll live in Florida for 6 months of every year. In the winter, I'll go somewhere warm. We do have nice summers though.

Will you be seeking citizenship? If so, you have to certify you are not a democrat. Otherwise youll have to live in West Palm Beach.

Canadians are welcome either way,they would be smart enough to figure out a punch ballot.Did we mention that you don't have to wait for weeks for minor medical procedures here?The warmth is over-rated it rarely breaks 100 here and the humidity isn't that bad after a year or so.West coast has lotsa good points for you.Try www.spearboard.com as there are some fellas there in your buisness with similar interests.

Thanks everyone....I am probably not a devote spearchucker anymore (yes, I want to kiss the fish now). So Key Largo John Pennekamp Park looks great to me. How much to live there??

A few months ago I briefly looked into property in the Upper Keys myself. Parcels of land can still be had for under $100,000, and I found several of manufactured homes (glorified trailers) that had been made into really nice dwellings (with a jacuzzi, etc.) in the $120,000 range. Insurance will undoubtedly be an issue with a home like that in the Keys, though. I just did a cursory search through Yahoo! using terms like "upper keys realtor, realty, real estate, etc."

I also have to concur with Virus. If you are planning to be a permanent resident, I'd make sure you can, or would want to, deal with the summer heat. Many of us find any excuse we can to leave here during the summer months.

AH

Heavily research this one every year just before we leave the Keys to come home.Condos start around 100,000+fees.Homes without a canal start at 150,000.Homes with a canal start at 200,000.Lots can start at 15,000 for non-canal .50,000 + up for canal lots.There is a moratorium on building in the Keys that can only be circumvented with money and time.Lotsa money.Trailers are out as a primary residence as strong wind will be thru here occasionally.Affording the home is 1 aspect,making a living and a litany of others from few movie theatres to very little in the way of cultural activities.We stay 5-10 weeks a year depending and by the end of the trip I can't wait to get back home 9 hrs north.Coldwell-Banker,Watson and Century 21 handle most of the properties so ck thier websites for a breakdown of area price fluctuations and views.

I have inlaws that live in Maine, one from down east in Boothbay Harbor, and the other in Central Maine. They came down a couple of years ago, fully expecting to be able to stay in their camper. Note, this camper was rigged for New England summers, and had no Air Conditioning.

Well, they stayed a total of three days, and all of those they slept in the house. They found they had problems breathing with the humidity here.

Now, I live in North East Florida, and it does tend to get more humid here than in South Florida. I lived in both Kendall (Miami) and in Delray Beach growing up, and it seemed there was almost always a breeze from the ocean there, where during the summer here, it seems to come from across the state from the Gulf, and it seems to be a very HOT breeze.

Not trying to scare you away at all, but really trying to get you to realize that it's hotter than hell on a stick here for a period.

I read about all the people dying during the heat wave in Chicago a couple of years back, and in the UK last year, and it only got to like 94 degrees. Hell, it's that hot by 8am here on some mornings, and climbs to well over 105 in the shade; all the time having a humidity level of greater than 95%.

Now granted, it's only that hot for a month or so, but maybe it's because I'm getting older, who knows, but it seems like the summers are getting harder to deal with.

Come on down and see for yourself, we'll go diving and empty a bottle of ale or two and won't worry about the heat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom