Attitude on St John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW Jersey. You saw a "manta" ray and a "shark" eating a turtle. :wink:

Wish I had a buck for every time I've heard a tourist say they'd seen a manta ray.

Kharon - enjoy your trip! Not sure which ferry you're taking, but if you are heading to Red Hook, there is a new grocery store almost directly across from Terminal. Moe's Grocery, while small, has great selection and decent pricing. ...

Thanks for the tip. I'll stop at Moe's.

---------- Post added October 11th, 2014 at 10:33 AM ----------

WOW Jersey. You saw a "manta" ray and a "shark" eating a turtle. :wink:

Wish I had a buck for every time I've heard a tourist say they'd seen a manta ray.

No mention of a manta nor shark - eating a turtle or not. Why be a dick?

I have been there. If I were you I would rather go to St Croix or even better the BVI ( British Virgin Island ). Better dives :crafty:

Kharon, it was supposed to be a joke based on a post further up in the thread. Sorry my attempt at humor fell flat.

Trying to figure out how I can get over to dive the Rhone.

Got a free Wednesday?

Take an early ferry on Saturday over to Cruz Bay and go over with Low Key.
Low Key Watersports - Diving in St. John, US Virgin Islands

No one - that I know of - does it from St. Thomas any longer. Sawyer's in the East End (now Red Hook Dive) used to but RHD doesn't.

Since you're temporarily there, maybe pop over to Roadtown (Tortola) on the ferry and find someone who'll run over there. bviscuba.org lists all 8 possibilities.

Check with DiveBVI - the ferry to the Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor docks about 200 yds. from their dock. We dove it mid-week with them but we also flew out Sat. morning. Afaik they dive every day - certainly on Sunday with us. It's about the same run for them as it is from Roadtown for the Tortola shops so it's a possibility.

Last edited:
Kharon, it was supposed to be a joke based on a post further up in the thread. Sorry my attempt at humor fell flat.

Sorry I missed the joke. Sometimes I'm dense (and sometimes a bit grouchy - though that's usually not warrented).

It's all good. Fist bump. :)

We visited St Thomas a couple years ago(1 day cruise ship stop) ---& I dove that day, wife didn't dive that day & opted for a trip to St John........From what I remember her saying, St John was a prettier island and no hostilities were noticed(with a very limited amount of time there).........Thinking also she said the Rockefeller's straightened that place out..:)....(like half of the island is a national park--land ?donated by YOUR NY neighbor---lol).....

Got a free Wednesday?

Take an early ferry on Saturday over to Cruz Bay and go over with Low Key.
Low Key Watersports - Diving in St. John, US Virgin Islands

No one - that I know of - does it from St. Thomas any longer. Sawyer's in the East End (now Red Hook Dive) used to but RHD doesn't.

Since you're temporarily there, maybe pop over to Roadtown (Tortola) on the ferry and find someone who'll run over there. bviscuba.org lists all 8 possibilities.

Check with DiveBVI - the ferry to the Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor docks about 200 yds. from their dock. We dove it mid-week with them but we also flew out Sat. morning. Afaik they dive every day - certainly on Sunday with us. It's about the same run for them as it is from Roadtown for the Tortola shops so it's a possibility.

Thanks DiverSteve, I checked with my lds (Red Hook Dive Center) and they also suggested Low Key.

For anyone diving St. Thomas, Red Hook is good option. Wayne, Tom and the crew very safety conscious, small groups, very service oriented, fresh water rinse, shampoo and conditioner on boat, almost a live aboard! I'm enjoying my time diving with them. Out both Sat and Sun - did Calf and Castle Reefs Saturday and Congo and Mingo Reefs Sunday. Weather picture perfect, seas flat, viz good, water 84F.

Currently at work waiting for Tropical Storm/Hurricane Gonzalo to hit us. Hoping not too much and that conditions settle down for the weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom