Avanti Quattro + vs X-Stream vs RK3 vs Supernova - help me choose my next fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you start a new thread if you're interested in that topic? I'd be happy to post there.
I'm good. I've heard the argument. Doesn't make much sense to use cave trim for looking at fish on a 60' reef dive or on safety stop, unless the look is important.

Mares x-stream is a very good fin, especially if you have knee/leg problems. However, they are positively buoyant and too long to fit in an approved airline carry on bag.

Here's a video that compares at least the Avanti Quattro + and the X-stream. The X-streams are not very efficient...

Exactly!

Seriously?
Show me where I said that...
Here's to a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I'd say you need to understand English before anything else.
To be clear: I was answering specifically details of SlugLife's post. Not that you've read it, from the looks of it.

@Hippopotamus

I realize my questioning your body position and the translation of that to fin choice triggered this entire discussion. I apologize.

Looking past the buoyancy factor, back to the question at hand: which fins?
There are a few requirements, in your specific case:
  • enough power while flutter kicking (i.e. at least as much as the Seawing Nova, Tusa Hyflex Switch give not enough power), preferably with a little less fatigue
  • better control and precision
  • travel-friendly (i.e. not too big, they must fit in a suitcase and be a maximum of 62 cm long)
That last point rules out the Mares Avanti Quattro +. They're great and what you want, but are 70-72 cm (depending on size - I know that, because I had them)

The X-Stream seems to have the same issues as the Tusa you tried: not much power. Very light though.

The new Seawing Supernova is the successor of the Nova, right? Similar design, too. Powerful enough, no doubt, but I think they may have the same control issues (that hinge design might have something to do with that - my hypothesis).

That leaves the RK3 and similar tech-style moneprene fins (Tecline Lightjet, Scubapro Go Sport). I think they offer greater control and precision than the fins you had/have. At least the same amount of power, and they fit your suitcase. Not too heavy either (Tecline Lightjets weigh about 1 kg per fin, the same as the Mares Avanti Quattro+ actually).

For what it's worth, the Tecline Lightjets are neutral in terms of buoyancy (I know this, I have them), the Go Sport is reported to be slightly positively buoyant. The RK3 is 'quite positive' in terms of buoyancy (source: at 2:21)

If I were in your case, I would go for that last category: the monoprene design. But I am sure there are other suggestions to be made (or already have been made) that would suit your use case (and would fit your suit case).

but I think they may have the same control issues (that hinge design might have something to do with that - my hypothesis)
Not a valid concern here. One of the design features of these fins is control and precise maneuvering. I had no issues with control or maneuvering with these fins at all.

Super Nova is shaping up to be a really good fin, the new design has really improved control. Zeagle Recon is also great for a heavier fin.

Thanks Cheizz for your contributions. I had seen that video comparing fins in the pool but forgotten about it. Since the new fins should be as powerful as possible the X-streams are out. I already have the Tusas and like I said they are comfortable, easy on the legs, good for maneuvering and superb in quality. No need for a second pair of "nice enough" fins.
I actually got a tape measure and used it on my main travel cases. Turns out I can stretch up to about 68-69 cm. Which fits - even if by a small margin. Regular Quattros+ are said to be 65 cm overall here and here.
I am much drawn towards the Quattros given their reputation, choice of colors and (why not) price - they cost about half the Supernovas price in Europe.
While researching the Avantis I found about the Excite and Excite Pros. Supposedly they should have even better propulsion. But then I found that they have this "flutter click" issue. Having experienced that myself with other fins I know it's quite annoying, even if benign. So the Excites too are out.
Which leaves the RK3s. I found a few opinions describing them as very powerful, but no conclusive direct comparison with the Quattros. Will keep looking.

Thanks Cheizz for your contributions. I had seen that video comparing fins in the pool but forgotten about it. Since the new fins should be as powerful as possible the X-streams are out. I already have the Tusas and like I said they are comfortable, easy on the legs, good for maneuvering and superb in quality. No need for a second pair of "nice enough" fins.
I actually got a tape measure and used it on my main travel cases. Turns out I can stretch up to about 68-69 cm. Which fits - even if by a small margin. Regular Quattros+ are said to be 65 cm overall here and here.
I am much drawn towards the Quattros given their reputation, choice of colors and (why not) price - they cost about half the Supernovas price in Europe.
While researching the Avantis I found about the Excite and Excite Pros. Supposedly they should have even better propulsion. But then I found that they have this "flutter click" issue. Having experienced that myself with other fins I know it's quite annoying, even if benign. So the Excites too are out.
Which leaves the RK3s. I found a few opinions describing them as very powerful, but no conclusive direct comparison with the Quattros. Will keep looking.
When I get home I'll measure my large and X- large Quattros for you.

Note that "power" comes from leg muscles. The fins are merely transducers that convert muscle movement to forward propulsion.

In general, the stiffer the fin, especially with high sides (to limit side-to-side movement), the more efficient this transfer and the greater the forward propulsion per flutter kick stroke.

But, it leg muscles are not strong enough to drive the fins, then the stiffness of the fins will promote increased fatigue, cramping, and shorter bottom time.

If using a fin too flexible for the leg muscles, putting power to the fin will simply fold the fin and muscle effort is wasted,

and finally, make sure there is a snug fit between the diver's foot covering and the fin ' cause a loose fit wastes power and may promote fin loss while too snug a fit makes removing the fin in open water a bit problematic. (i.e. I use different sized fins depending on whether I am driving wet or dry)

Bottom line: Its best to match fin to leg muscles. and this is best confirmed by observation and experience 'cause no fin is perfect for all divers in all situations.

For what little its worth, I have used both Power Plana Avanti and Quattro fins in both calm and extreme currents and I am quite pleased with both. I am currently using the Quattro 'cause after 2 decades oi use, my Plana fins have been retired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom