• 0.8-0.89 cu ft/min, 22.6-25.4 l/min

Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 0.9-0.99 cu ft/min, 25.5-28.2 l/min

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • greater than or equal to 1.0 cu ft/min, 28.3 l/min

Votes: 14 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of gas consumption, I had an interesting dive on Tuesday while visiting Jupiter, FL. We dived over two sites, High Ledge and Capt. Kirle's. We started on top of the reef and at about 20 min, we did a 10 min swim back to the main ledge against a strong current. We finished the dive at Capt. Kirle's.

1698254445513.png

My overall RMV for the entire dive was 0.40 cu ft/min, just one std deviation above my overall avg RMV of 0.36. However, by the end of the swim over, my RMV was almost doubled over my avg to 0.66 cu ft/min. I maintained that consumption rate for about two minutes. My exertion was strenuous, and I would not have been able to maintain that indefinitely. Fortunately, we reached the ledge and my gas consumption returned to normal over several minutes.

1698255736461.png

This is the largest swing in my RMV that I have seen. I have been diving a Teric since May 2019, 523 dives.

That's pretty cool. I've seen some momentary spikes, but not quite as dramatic. This also highlights something that is just not possible if diving without AI. Your overall RMV showed a bit higher, but without seeing the increase graphed out over time, you probably wouldn't have been aware of how much extra you were consuming during that swim.

I don't recall any quite so dramatic, but certainly do have some spikes of higher consumption. They correlate pretty closely with increases in heart rate from the download from my Garmin.

Watching my SAC/RMV tumble swimming against the flow in high flow caves has been deeply humbling. Easily twice what’s normal - makes me contemplate spending more time at the gym!
I broke my left femur quite badly a year ago and ended up requiring 2 surgeries. I started out in good shape but then could do very little for 5 months or more. It has been very challenging getting back to where I was. I would say that the strength of my left leg and my cardiovascular fitness are somewhere around 85-90% of my previous normal. That is reflected in my current endurance, I am still improving noticeably. I missed 8 months of diving and have only been back since June, 49 dives. I think it more difficult as you get older, I will be 70 in January. I hope to be back in shape by the end of the year.

Interestingly, my average gas consumption is as good as always. For the 8 dives I just did in Jupiter, my RMV was 0.34 cu ft/min. It's just the exertion that is tougher :)

Now, well over 47,000 views and 695 votes in the poll.

1698412196409.png
1698412321196.png

The median, mode, and weighted average remain 0.5-0.59 cu ft/min or 14.2-16.9 l/min

If you have not voted in the poll, please consider doing so. If your average RMV has changed, please change your vote.

Best of diving to everyone

Hi, very interesting graphic.
It would be great if you could separate men for women voters. Women usually have a RMV inferior by 25%

Another 1000 views, now over 48,000. Over 700 votes in the poll.

1699800506556.png
1699800518242.png

The median, mode, and weighted average remain 0.5-0.59 cu ft/min or 14.2-16.9 l/min

If you have not voted in the poll, please consider doing so. If your average RMV has changed, please change your vote.

Good diving to all

Having recently experienced recreational tropical diving vs doubles in a drysuit it's a completely different game. My ~18l/min at home easily dropped to 12l/min on vacation without that much effort. Even diving in current and swimming all over the reef.
Makes me wonder if a heated garment would cause a significant reduction in SAC back at home, being warm is a big component.

Having recently experienced recreational tropical diving vs doubles in a drysuit it's a completely different game. My ~18l/min at home easily dropped to 12l/min on vacation without that much effort. Even diving in current and swimming all over the reef.
Makes me wonder if a heated garment would cause a significant reduction in SAC back at home, being warm is a big component.
I don't have a SAC rate, I have rates... Warm and happy in Mexico, I can be under 8.5 LPM, doing training there it's more like 17. I have rates for teaching tech, diving tech, teaching rec, diving rec in both warm and cold water. Teaching and cold add stress and increase consumption pretty dramatically. Voting on my SAC rate is based on the best dive I've ever had in warm water, however :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom