• 0.8-0.89 cu ft/min, 22.6-25.4 l/min

Votes: 16 2.0%
  • 0.9-0.99 cu ft/min, 25.5-28.2 l/min

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • greater than or equal to 1.0 cu ft/min, 28.3 l/min

Votes: 13 1.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was quick, another 1000 views, now over 58,000. Thirteen more votes in the poll, now 766.

1714851616851.png
1714851632228.png

The median, mode, and weighted average remain 0.5-0.59 cu ft/min or 14.2-16.9 l/min

If you have not voted in the poll, please consider doing so. If your average RMV has changed, please change your vote.

Here's to good diving in May

Hi @WillieJustice

You need your actual psi used to accurately calculate your RMV. Perhaps you can collect this for your next dives.

Based on the above 4 dives, if you used 2500 psi from an AL80 on each dive, your RMV would be 0.56-0.65 cu ft/min. If you used 2000 psi, your RMV would be 0.45-0.52 cu ft/ min. I would imagine your RMV is somewhere in there. Let us know when you are able to calculate it yourself.
2500 psi is about right. I have that information somewhere. I have to figure out how to calculate it. It's only a matter of spending the time on it, and I haven't done that yet.

2500 psi is about right. I have that information somewhere. I have to figure out how to calculate it. It's only a matter of spending the time on it, and I haven't done that yet.
If math isn't your strong point, there are plenty of specialized calculators on the internet, for example Surface Air Consumption Calculator | DiveBuddy.com.
FYI, assuming you ended with 2500 psi on your four dives you posted, you are solidly in the 0.6-0.7 cuft/min camp.

I'm sorry to ask this so late in the thread, and maybe it's in the previous 49 pages, but how do I calculate my gas consumption if I'm not using AI? Math isn't my strong suit. Please be kind.

Also, I've noticed I use gas pretty slowly up until it's time to surface. At my safety stop I do stupid things like chase jellies around, trying to get fun pictures, then realize I'm getting near the surface and swim back down, repeat the process over and over. So I blow through a lot of gas on my safety stop. So would it be more accurate to not include that time and gas?

PS, if there isn't a 'quick and easy' way to do this just pretend I never asked. :wink:

I'm sorry to ask this so late in the thread, and maybe it's in the previous 49 pages, but how do I calculate my gas consumption if I'm not using AI? Math isn't my strong suit. Please be kind.
See my post just above yours.
Also, I've noticed I use gas pretty slowly up until it's time to surface. At my safety stop I do stupid things like chase jellies around, trying to get fun pictures, then realize I'm getting near the surface and swim back down, repeat the process over and over. So I blow through a lot of gas on my safety stop. So would it be more accurate to not include that time and gas?
If you want the SAC for your dive include the whole dive. You are better off just resting at your safety stop instead of the "stupid things" you describe. :)

Sounds like you have buoyancy problem. Fix that first & you’ll improve your air consumption.

See my post just above yours.

If you want the SAC for your dive include the whole dive. You are better off just resting at your safety stop instead of the "stupid things" you describe. :)
But 'stupid things' can be fun! :wink: And I've gotten some fun shots doing those things!

IMG_8844.JPG

Sounds like you have buoyancy problem. Fix that first & you’ll improve your air consumption.
I truly don't have buoyancy problems - honest. I just do 'stupid things' at the end of the dive. :wink:

I truly don't have buoyancy problems - honest. I just do 'stupid things' at the end of the dive. :wink:
They are stupid because the purpose of the safety stop is to help you off gas....that means light movement, not heavy rushing about.

Back
Top Bottom