Avoid Divers Academy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingOtter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Especially if you are going to use the Post 9/11 Bill. Over charging waste of time. 2500 dollars you will pay for a suit Tamara buys for 700 bucks. No real certifications as they claim, you DO however get " qualifications" which mean absolutely nothing in this industry. She treats people, especially veterans like trash and is only concerned with your wallet. I went there purely out of convenience and knew their recruiters were full of crap. If your going to pursue diving go to Florida or Seattle. I usually dont talk badly about people but the stories im hearing from veterans that went there who call me seeking employment, she deserves not one red cent of anyones money.

Diver's Academy is qualified to issue an ACDE certificate; which meets the U.S. ANSI Standards. IMCA may recognize an ACDE certificate, however each school is audited independently to determine if their training meets IMCA's International Standards. In any regard, prior to issuing an IMCA ticket, the Diver must demonstrate his/her experience (by logbook entries) prior to consideration for IMCA registration.

So it would appear that Diver's Academy meets a Student's need to work within the U.S. and their program may meet the International Standard. I'm assuming that they do meet these requirements, as they fly the IMCA logo on their Website (something that IMCA is sensitive to).

Personally, I've had no experience with this school. Like many schools however, they seem to concentrate on training entry level Divers (Air), in a compressed program (20 weeks compared with Seneca College's 34 week program). The focus seems to be on quick certification rather than providing the Diver with more comprehensive skills.

I went to DA in 1998. Their program seemed to be more thorough before they moved to Atlantic City (Mixed Gas Training was part of the 7000 dollar curriculum), but Tamara has always been a money hungry (insert expletive here).

Honestly, guys, go to the community college in LA. It's super cheap, gives you the same cert as DA, and you'll more than likely get to know some supervisors in the GoM before you graduate.

If you've got the money, get a DCBC cert. I wish I had.

5 months of wasted time. Now shes trying to pitch deep dives in her new 120' quarry for an extra sum of money. I hate getting calls from people in school there because in all honesty, paying 2500 for a suit that costs 700 is a friggin joke. They now have a SCUBA diver teaching one of her phases. I tell people all the time to go south to FL or LA. And according to her, us veterans are a joke, liars, scammers and dont understand how we could ever complain about her prices when everything we get came free.

5 months of wasted time. Now shes trying to pitch deep dives in her new 120' quarry for an extra sum of money. I hate getting calls from people in school there because in all honesty, paying 2500 for a suit that costs 700 is a friggin joke. They now have a SCUBA diver teaching one of her phases. I tell people all the time to go south to FL or LA. And according to her, us veterans are a joke, liars, scammers and dont understand how we could ever complain about her prices when everything we get came free.

Ok; now tell us what you really think... :)

DC, that isnt even a portion of what I think. Also, they are in no way shape or form involved with IMCA. I remember the first day hearing " you can work ANYWHERE in the world and WE will help get you there " fast forward 1 month tops. " You can work ANYWHERE inside the United States and WE WILL HELP GET YOU THERE" what about overseas? Oh ! Thats IMCA, we arent an IMCA recognized school. So maybe take the words " be certified to work anywhere in the world" off your website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom